Mitsubishi country song

dunbur63

Reaction score
There is a new Mitsubishi 4wd advert showing with a bluesy/country track. Anyone out there can tell me what it is?

You Don't Mess Around With Jim lyrics
Jim Croce

Uptown Got Its Hustlers, the Bow'ry Got Its Bums
Forty Second Street Got Big Jim Walker
He's A Pool Shootin' Son Of A Gun
Yeah He's Big & Dumb As A Man Can Come
But He's Stronger Than A Country Hoss
And When The Bad Folks All Get Together At Night
You Know They All Call Big Jim "Boss"
Just Because, And They Say

You Don't Tug On Superman's Cape
You Don't Spit Into The Wind
You Don't Pull The Mask Off The Old Lone Ranger
And You Don't Mess Around With Jim

Well Out Of South Alabama Came A Country Boy
He Said "I'm Looking For A Man Named Jim
I'm A Pool Shhotin' Boy, My Name Is Willie McCoy
But Down Home They Call Me Slim
Yeah I'm Lookin' For The King Of Forty Second Street
He's Drivin' A Drop Top Cadillac
Last Week He Took All My Money & It May Sound Funny
But I've Come To Get My Money Back"
And Everybody Say "Jack

And You Don't Mess Around With Jim"

Well A Hush Fell Over The Room
Jimmy Came Boppin' In Off The Street
And When The Cuttin Was Done The Only Part That Wasn't Bloody
Was The Soles Of The Big Man's Feet
Yeah, He Were Cut In 'Bout A Hundred Places
And He Were Shot In A Couple More
And You Better Believe They Sung A Diff'rent Kind Of Story
When Big Jim Hit The Floor. Oh Now They Say

And You Don't Mess Around With Jim

You Don't Pull The Mask Off The Old Lone Ranger And You Don't Mess
Around With Slim"

Yeah, Big Jim Got His Hat, Find Out Where It's At
And Not Hustling People Strange To You
Even If You Do Got A Two-Piece Custom Made Pool Cue

Thanks for that. A weight off my mind before Christmas!!!

The song used in the ad is a remake of the original song by Jim Croce and they changed some of the lyrics (I think because of in the original lyrics there was the word Ute). This version from the ad was made in New Zealand but I can't find where I sourced that info now. But Jim Croces version is the close enough.

can anyone please tell me who the guy is that is singing the version of "You don't mess around with Jim" (Originally sung by Jim Croche) on the new Mitsubishi ad!!!! he has a much deeper voice than Jim Croche & I believe this one is going place's thank-you for your responce's
regard's,
Les "S".

Well, the Cover's Project only lists the Jerry Reed version, so if it's a new version as you say, then you'll probably have to email Mitsubishi and ask them for the info. (Yes, emailing them sometimes works.)

Hey guys!

This is my first post on this forum, found it trying to find this ad music.

It's an ad for what i originally thought was a toyota, a hilux or the like, but now I think it may be a large nissan ute. This large vehicle is driving through a country area, and there's this sort of plucky guitar/banjo thing going on in the background, with a deep male voice singing in a deep south type of accent and the only line I can remember is 'and you don't mess around with slim/him'

If you know this i'll be so darn impressed!

Oh, just a thought- i've only seen the ad in england, but it probably is screened elsewhere

Olivia

Typical really, i just found it! it's actually a mitsubishi advert and the song is and you don't mess around with jim by jim croce/croche

thanks anyway

olivia

mitsubishi ad country music

I saw an ad recently, it was an older ad probably about 6-12mths old but it was for a mitsubishi pickup and the music was based on the song "you don't mess around with Jim" does anyone have any info on the singer of the music in the add and if there is a full version of the song by the same artist that did the ad. Thanks.

A new version of the ad has recently been released using the same song but covered by a different band.

As to which artists were responsible for each spot, I received the following reply from the agency responsible for the ads, Golley Slater Advertising:

As I'm sure you are aware, the track was originally recorded by Jim Croce and was re-recorded by a New Zealand ad agency for the purposes of the original ad.

Since recording the new commercial we have had an unknown artist record the track and this was dealt with by a company in London and we do not have the artist's name I'm afraid.

Back