Looking For A Classical Song

Cosmo

Reaction score
I’m looking for a song I have always heard heaps. I heard it a lot on The Discovery Channel when they do those montages of things being build or things getting blown up. Its a real chaotic song.

It starts really loud with a drum and horn playing together, repeating the same 3 or 4 loud notes, for about 5 seconds before it jumps to a male choir "yelling" with loud clashing drums in the background.

It sounds a bit like the climax of O Fortuna.

Hope i did a good job describing it.

EDITED: I remember hearing it in the Warcraft Massacre video. Im having trouble finding it, I believe its a pretty popular video.

That is most differently it. Thank you very much. I know I have it on a cd or lying arounf my hard drive somewhere.

Right, except it's from Verdi's Requiem, not Mozart's; and please never compare or confuse Verdi to/for Orff. ;)

Whoops! Momentary brain scramble. I've been listening to some of Mozart's "Requiem" and other similar pieces lately, so I got confused.

Yes. I'm no critic of classical music, however, there does appear to be a difference in renditions depending on who performs the music. I have 2 artists of that music and they sound different; Karl Jenkins and another one which currently slips my memory. Just wondering. Don't tell me to use search! :p :p :p

A requiem is a Catholic funeral Mass celebrated to music and very ritualistic. Also used to be common on all souls day I think. There are several parts much like an opera each part being a long operatic prayer. There are many different versions by many composers. The one in question was composed by Verdi and is the section of the Mass known as "Dies Irae".
There are other requiem compositions that don't deal with funerals but with other issues of great loss and sadness such as war or catastrophe.

CLICK CLICK

Anyway It's a good bet that what you perceived as different renditions were actually from different composers even though the the title would have been the same.

I learned it the same way. Right here at Adtunes. I was only ever familiar with Mozarts Requiem in D minor. Then someone came up with the answer Lacrimosa by another composer and I was all, "No no no no it's Mozart!!! Mozart wrote Lacrimosa!!!" :p

Right; I was explaining this very thing in a previous thread in regard to the "Lux Aeterna." The compositions themselves are unique. They are not, as some say, different renditions of the same piece. Karl Jenkins' Requiem, and thus his "Dies Irae," is his own composition, though I believe his is a secular work that simply uses the Latin text. So when you see "Lacrimosa," "Dies Irae", "Lux Aeterna, etc., it could be one of many works that use the text from the Requiem Mass—Verdi, Faure, Mozart and Berlioz are among those who have composed Requiems.

Back