how does someone get a job putting music in shows

damndatshot

Reaction score
i know this might be in the wrong category but i dont know where else it would go. i was just wondering how does someone get a job putting music in tv shows or movies. is that the music supervisor job... i'd be great at that and im sure a few of you would be too

It varies greatly, but the music choices are usuallymade by those who have a direct hand in the creation of a TV show or film (director, producer, editor).

Sometimes a song is chosen by the writer/director/producer during the script writing process, because they feel a certain song is just "made" for a certain scene.

In other situations there is a great deal of experimentation done during the editing process whereby many songs are tested to see which is the best "fit" for that scene.

I believe a "music supervisor" deals more with the legal issues surrounding copyright laws, although I'm not 100% sure.

Check out the interview with writer/producer David Chase on disc 4 of season 1 of the Sopranos. He gives a quick chat about how he chose the series' theme song.

So the quick of it is, if you want a "job" picking out songs for TV shows or films, create a TV show or film and stick your fave songs in it! But don't forget to pay the song's owner :D

Have you searched anywhere else online? If so, you probably have found several interviews with Alexandra Patsavas, who has worked as a music supervisor for several television shows.

Have you seen this article?

http://www.latimes.com/classified/jobs/cou...mploy-counselor

I don't know if there are any professional music supervisors on this board who would like to offer you advice, but there's plenty of legitimate information online to help.

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal that might interest you:

http://startup.wsj.com/howto/marketingsale...-jurgensen.html

also, I recall reading a while back that the same feller scouted music for the O.C. and Grey's Anatomy, and I think his job title was music supervisor... but I could be making that up. At any rate, they said he threw a bunch of songs at the show's producers that he thought would generally work for their program, and they listened to them, picked out what they liked and then figured out how to integrate them plotwise. I don't know how he got that job, but I think being in either the tv industry or the music industry, or at the very least knowing people in those industries, would be important.

The same person has worked as a music supervisorfor both"The O.C." and "Grey's Anatomy." Her name is Alexandra Patsavas, the person I mentioned in my previous post. She's a she, not a him. You can find her credits on IMDb. A Google search of her name will get you some of her interviews that have been published online.

Back