Friskies cat food "Adventureland"

http://web.archive.org/web/20120328....com/articles/magazine/20100401/friskies.html

When it comes to advertising how great cat food tastes, the commercial brief is generally something like this: Lauren Bacall extols the mouth-watering properties of chopped up turkey innards as a fluffy white feline crawls across a designer sofa in a Mediterranean villa and stuffs its furry little face into a crystal serving dish.

But how exactly does that overstuffed fuzz ball feel as it eats? What if there was a way to see inside its mind? These are questions New York-based agency Avrett Free Ginsberg and Passion Pictures directors Shy The Sun sought to answer with “Adventureland”, a surprisingly psychedelic animated journey inside the mind of a house pet.

In the spot, a cat travels through a magical mirror into a trippy world where turkeys dance, fish fly and chickens play musical instruments in a pastoral, rainbow-colored landscape. For the soundtrack, the agency wanted music fantastical in tone with a warm indie-pop vibe and female vocals. Freelance Brooklyn-based musician Tim Kvasnosky, recruited via Trivers Myers Music, was one of several composers to write music for the spot.

His track mixed neo-folk and handmade sounds with a whiff of late ’60s French pop and it was one of two finalists – the other was a sweet-sounding piano girl tune – chosen for testing. “Both went into testing and luckily they picked the oddball one, which was mine,” he says.

Kvasnosky, 35, worked with singer Deanne Reynolds (aka De De), an indie pop singer with whom he’s also producing and writing an album. “The sound of Friskies was definitely related to the sound of this record,” he says. “We’re using a lot of these ’60s colors.”

The instrumentation is all analogue and combines vintage synths – like the Mellotron Flute and Mellotron Boys Choir – with handclaps, finger snaps, a ukulele and an old upright piano in his neighbor’s house.

“I use a lot of children’s toys,” he says. “Like a little metal glockenspiel that cost $20 off of Amazon.”
Initially, Kvasnosky wrote a pop song but the lyrics evolved to become a jingle, with Reynolds serenely singing, “The discovery never seems to stop/The journey to delicious and beyond/Exciting your cat day and night with endless enchantment.”

Since it began airing during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics coverage, the trippy spot has earned a cult following. Remixed versions featuring covers of Kvasnosky’s jingle and The Byrds “Eight Miles High” popped up on YouTube and a 3D version is airing in cinemas.

More importantly for the composer, who’s also one half of house duo Home & Garden and a go-to remixer for major labels, he’s completed another round of demos for Friskies and is now busy working on a series of spots with Reynolds for an upcoming Friskies Dry campaign.

http://www.triversmyersmusic.com

I can't find anything on youtube that Lemon Jelly has posted that has the words I heard on the Friskies commercial. Can you be more specific or give better directions to the tune on the Friskies commercial with the cat who trapped the leaf on the wall?

Back