Classic Rock Hooks In Club Songs...

ad-rock

Pro Member
Reaction score
I don't get why so many new/newer "club anthems" are using recycled hooks from 80's rock songs. Don't get me wrong, they are usually pretty good, but is it getting harder these days to come up with original material? Or, is it a good money maker to retread a popular song that everyone loved twenty years ago? I'm just curious to see what you all think. :what:

Here are a few examples. Feel free to post more if you know any...

"The Logical Song" by Supertramp
Scooter - "Ramp! (The Logical Song)"

"Valerie" by Steve Winwood
Eric Prydz - "Call On Me"

"Africa" by Toto
Marcus Levin - "2 Take Me Away"

Edit: Oops, I meant to post this in the Entertainment Forum.

:lol: I thought of Trick Daddy - Lets go
from Ozzy Ozbourne Crazy train. Although the hooks are different in that one. :blink:

Good choice. There's definitely a lot of that in rap too...
Run DMC -vs- Aerosmith "Walk This Way" was probably the first one!

Vanilla Ice... Ice Ice baby, pretty sure that was made from an old Queen riff. :lol:

Originally posted by Tyrell@Apr 15 2005, 08:56 PM
Vanilla Ice... Ice Ice baby, pretty sure that was made from an old Queen riff. :lol:
Now that you mention it, it does sound like "Under Pressure"

But didn't you see the interview with Vanilla saying that the da da duns were different in his song!!! :huh:

Crystal Method sampled "Roadhouse Blues" by the Doors on opne of their latest cad I believe.

Dont intend to be nit picckky or anything. Hey ad-rock Breakfest in America was released in 1979 so "The Logical song would be a 70s hook. Although, Live Paris wa sreleased in 1980 so technically you would be right.

Back