Canada Post and eBay

gazuga

Reaction score
I've seen this commercial maybe four or five times in the evenings. It's an ad promoting Canada Post helping to keep eBay buyers and sellers connected, showcasing a bunch of people mailing stuff around the country.

I am interested in the tune in the background: kind of a catchy, indie-pop-type instrumental guitar track. Thought I'd recognized it at first but now I'm less sure.

Originally posted by vermis_rex@Mar 23 2006, 12:28 PM
No, it is quite definitely NOT "Rebellion (Lies)" by The Arcade Fire.
OK, can't find any function on this forum to edit a post after it's up...

I've found solid info on the tune, thanks to a press release on the web site of the Association of Postal Officials of Canada. I'm quoting some relavent bits here:

Canada Post will be back on the airwaves with a new television ad running from February 27 to May 5. Spots have been purchased on all major television networks. Watch for the ad on TV's most popular shows such as: The Academy Awards (Sunday March 5), Survivor, CSI, American Idol, The Amazing Race, Desperate Housewives, Law and Order, NHL Hockey Playoffs, ER, The Apprentice, L'école des fans, Les poupées Russes, Annie et ses hommes, KM/HR and Tout le monde en parle.

"The new ad builds on the '... you'll find it in the mail' creative theme launched in 2004. It showcases Canada Post's role and commitment to small businesses through our innovative eBay partnership. All across the country Canada Post connects eBay buyers and sellers," said Catherine Riggins, director of Marketing Communications.

Publicis, Canada Post's agency for advertising, developed the 30-second spot. Shot in Toronto using Canadian actors, the ad also features specially scripted music by Pirate Radio of Toronto.

So, the answer is... the band Pirate Radio. While there is a web site called pirateradiotheband.com, it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

I don't think you can edit a post until you reach a higher post count.

Well, that explains a lot (or.. no it doesn't, but I'm willing to play along as I'm new here. Maybe I should read the manual)

Meanwhile, turns out that pirateradiotheband.com website is for a completely different band called Pirate Radio located in San Francisco, not the Toronto band of apparently the same name.

Thanks for your help, vermis_rex.

I Googled pirate radio +toronto and discovered it was a production company, not a band, that "specially scripted" the music for Canada Post. I'd venture to guess this audio track was conceived in their studio expressly as filler for the 30-second spots. Rats.

Back