Arlington Road

FoxMulder

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a trailer editor by trade and have long admired the score employed in the ARLINGTON ROAD trailer, one of the best psychological thrillers (and trailers) of the 1990s. This is a great atypical thriller cue and I'm still looking for it.

I'm advised this is not a production music cue but indeed a film score from the 1990s. For fellow film score buffs, any suggestions?

REF:
The track begins from 1'15" onwards, with a great punctuation point at 1'43" to bring us home.

Thanks so much!

Funny seeing you here ;) While I can't pinpoint the exact cue, the trailer's omission from the soundtrack.net database leads me to believe it is an original composition. I have a guy I can ask though - will try to find out tomorrow.

-js

Here you go:

"I do not recognize the source or sources of any of the soundtrack music used in this trailer, per se. And I am not sure where 1:15 onward falls, i.e., whether this refers to one minute fifteen seconds into the trailer, or fifteen seconds in. At fifteen seconds, or thereabouts, a "family" theme is heard for about ten seconds of run time; this is in the mode of a Georges Delerue or an Elmer Bernstein "gentle" or "children's" theme, a la the famous opening titles music of To Kill a Mockingbird (much imitated). At one minute fifteen seconds in, a scherzo very much in the nature of typical Jerry Goldsmith (et al) edge of your seat action music cue begins and runs for some time further. Now, I listened closely at this point, and there is a theme embedded in the scherzo (beginning dum dum da dum) which is patterned after the so called Dis Irae, a Latin chant associated with the devil. It has been used in literally hundreds of film scores going back at least to the early forties (e.g., Herrmann's The Devil and Daniel Webster) to signify pure evil, or to signify the devil (Goldsmith uses it in The Omen scores, for example). If that is what you are asking about, that is what is going on in the musical background there. By the way, being an ancient Latin chant, the Dis Irae is in the public domain, so any composer can utilize it, and most do so creatively where it suits the subject matter (again, not just the bad guys, but pure or satanic evil)."

Apologies for the belated reply. Thanks you for the response, very articulate. Unfortunately, still no track.

The search continues. The reason I suspect this is film score is scores were not only more frequently utilized for trailers in 1999, the orchestration sounds bigger and broader than what was being achieved by the Jon Beals and digital synclaviers at the time - as excellent as that was, a far cry from the very real instrumentation we hear from today's out of the box software (eg Zack Hemsey) etc.

Thanks again and if you ever find this track, please let me know.

Cheers!

Back