Top Ad Music of 2006

jca

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
12-29-2006 06:20 AM

Adtunes.com presents the Top Ad Music for 2006. Here are our choices for the most memorable music used in commercial advertising from the past year.

top_ads_2006.gif

10. Fast and Furious
The group N.E.R.D. (with the help of remixer Jason Nevins) created a popular song for fast cuts/edits in movie trailers. Their track "Rock Star (Jason Nevins Remix Edit)" was most recently in the The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift trailer. The remix has also been in spots for the movie Taxi, Shanghai Knights and on the Blue Crush film soundtrack.

9. Mad World War
One thing we learned in 2006: Not many Xbox 360 owners saw the movie Donnie Darko. The Gary Jules "Mad World" (iTunes) / Tears for Fears cover moved from the Darko movie soundtrack to the very popular Gears of War commercial (with a few other appearances along the way). The song has become a game trailer remix fan favorite.

8. A Real Spektor
Singer-songwriter Regina Spektor lent her brand of indie folk-rock (the kids like to call it "anti-folk") goodness to a XM Satellite Radio commercial with her song Better" (iTunes). This capped a year that saw Spektor's music appearing in many outlets, including TV shows like CSI:NY, Verionica Mars, Weeds, and Grey's Anatomy. Some are even (mistakenly) convinced she's been subbing for Cat Power.

7. Golden Age
For the second time, the Overseer Overexposed Award goes to the band Goldfrapp. Alison Goldfrapp and her electronica backed vocals were everywhere in 2006. The band's music has been in ads for Verizon, Alltel, Motorola, L'Oreal, Diet Coke, ABC, F/X, Target and countless others. EMI Music Marketing Senior VP Cynthia Sexton on licensing Goldfrapp: "With some pitching and pushing, all of the songs on 'Supernature' have what it takes." Overexposed runner-up goes to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World" (iTunes) by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole being used again, this time to sell Rice Krispies.

6. Don't Hold Back
Some companies try to "brand" their television commercials with music. In the case of Budweiser, a campaign of ads ran with a single song: "Galvanize" (iTunes) by The Chemical Brothers. The crown logo of the Budweiser Select commercials backed by the Moroccan string sample in "Galvanize" (with rapping by Q-Tip) was hard to miss. The popular song also made an appearance in the 2006 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.

5. They Walk the Line
Created by BBH and Soundtree Music, the Levi's "Straight Walk" commercials featured a determined couple walking the straight and narrow to meet each other. The cover of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" was performed by Megan Wyler and Adem Ilhan. Music Creative Director Peter Raeburn said "It was important that the song had a sense of purpose and determination and that the characters had a voice."

4. It Didn't Stop The Go! Team
The Go! Team band founder Ian Parton claims he doesn't like licensing music for ads. "I think music should be kept special, and I don't think selling it for a commercial is a good way to do that." So why is The Go! Team song "Huddle Formation" (iTunes) in a Honda Civic "Freedom" commercial as part of the Honda "Reverse your thinking" campaign? The band offers an explanation in their official forum: "Basically this ad was a concession so that there would be someone to clear the samples. Hypocritical I know but its a tricky thing to navigate through when you make sample based music. It's a minefield."

3. Feel the Power
After lending vocals to a cover of "Hanging on the Telephone" for Cingular, Cat Power (aka Chan Marshall) returns to the TV commercial airwaves with a cover of Cat Steven's "How Can I Tell You" (iTunes) for the "Christmas Morning" Diamonds Are Forever commercial. Like Regina Spektor, Marshall represents a new breed of commercial "jingle" singers: a performer providing music for television commercials without losing their credibility along the way. Cat Power takes it a step further by recording commissioned ad songs (rather than licensing an existing song). Since these tracks are unreleased, we hope companies will learn to seize the opportunity and release this type of ad music to the public -- there certainly is a demand for it.

2. Can You Hear Them Now?
2006 was the year for music in cell phone commercials. The reason: every cellphone carrier introduced new cell phones this past year capable of downloading and playing music. There were so many different cellphone commercials in 2006 featuring music, we couldn't possibly list them all here. The diverse group of artists lending songs to the ads included: The Black Eyed Peas, Fergie, Nelly Furtado, Christina Aguleria, Jamiroquai, Shakira, Sean Paul, Persephone's Bees, John Legend, The Icicles, Keith Urban, Paola, Hooverphonic, Urban Delights, Foreigner, Death From Above 1979, Lady Sovereign and last, but certainly not least, Goldfrapp.

1. Something to Remind Me
The prehistoric pitchmen return in another commercial for car insurance company Geico. Created by The Martin Agency, the sequel to the 2004 Geico "Apology" commercial features a caveman riding an airport moving sidewalk only to be offended by a "So easy a caveman can do it" billboard. The lyrics to the infectious song echo his frustration: "And everywhere I go, there's always something to remind me." The track is "Remind Me" (iTunes) by the Norwegian group Röyksopp, and easily became one of the most popular song ID requests in our forums.

Download the iTunes iMix of the Top Ad Music of 2006

Remind Me
by Röyksopp

Download from Amazon

Back