"Apache" Sugar Hill Gang Sound-a-like

thesassycynic

Pro Member
Reaction score
Ok, this probably won't take long to figure out. Most of you probably already know "Apache" by the Sugar Hill Gang, but if you don't, listen to it here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000033K...v=glance&n=5174

Anyway, here's my question. I know the music right there where they're singing "Tonto jump on it", etc. is from something else. I know I've heard the song in a couple of movies without the rapping. I'm assuming Sugar Hill Gang just sampled that particular section. So, who does the song and what is it called?

The instrumental song "Apache" has been remade/covered/sampled by many, but it was originally recorded and released by The Shadows. However, the version that The Sugar Hill Gang use as the basis for their cover, though I don't believe it's a sample, is the one by Incredible Bongo Band.

Yeah, right after I posted this, my dad came in and listened to it and he was like "Oh, it's the Ventures. Apache 65." And yes, it has been re-done a lot. The particular version I was thinking of is on one of my Fatboy Slim albums. But thanks, I haven't listened to the version you're talking about.

Its been sampled a lot...I wouldn't be suprised if its one of the most sampled songs ever. Missy Elliot just used it in We Run This. The most famous version of the song was the one redone by the Incredible Bongo Band, like mentioned before.

Originally posted by thesassycynic@Jun 25 2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah, right after I posted this, my dad came in and listened to it and he was like "Oh, it's the Ventures. Apache 65." And yes, it has been re-done a lot. The particular version I was thinking of is on one of my Fatboy Slim albums. But thanks, I haven't listened to the version you're talking about.
So you already have the answer then ;)

It's on Fatboy Slim's album On the Floor at the Boutique, and when I checked my CD case (which I usually never do), I realized that it's actually Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band doing "Apache" that's the first track on the album. So, I guess I have heard the version. Heh. I guess that's what I get for never keeping the CDs in their cases. I never know what any of the songs are called. :duh:

Back