Advertising

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Status

Default Your Musical Tastes

Sponsored Links

OK. I'm a producer. I've been told by some, that I am outstanding, and by others that I am boring as all get out. The number one reason I am "outstanding" is because of my eclectic style; the number one reason I am "boring" is because nothing really jumps out at people.

Now, the type of music that I make is the type of music I want to hear. If I don't like it myself, how can I be inspired to write anything for it? I'm not changing for anyone or any reason just to sell records.

Let me try to describe my sound. It's a blend of hip hop with electronica, techno, jazz, and a sort of extremely mellow trance. If you've ever heard of groups like Kiln, The Boards of Canada or The Album Leaf.. they have a sort of pipe dreamy sound. I take that and add a beat. I guess my music could be played in a lounge. It's the type of music you'd hear in a movie while someone's sitting at a traffic light in downtown manhattan on a rainy afternoon.. everything seems to slow down as they watch the people cross the street and you can hear each individual raindrop hit the roof of the car.

Now.. let me get to the point. Does that type of thing sell well? Are most people more inclined to go after bass driven beats, uptempo, hard-hitting types of songs sans any real staying melody? Can I get away with relaxing, melodic, abstract-ochestral music? Eccentricity doesn't do too well in this world of ours does it?

I was told I wouldn't go very far without something that could be played in a club. And I wouldn't argue. What are your tastes?

----

You can tell I probably get F's on all my essays...

Status

I can see how your type of music is harder to sell. I love the bands you mentioned and I think there is definitly a crowd for that style, which seems to be growing. I'd stay stick with it, if you are happy with your music and you get postive feedback from people that's good. Everyone has their own musical tastes, if someone doesn't like your stuff thats too bad. Like I said the crowd is growing and with the internet people are developing new tastes. Stick with it and the $$$ will come to you.

Status

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -- Aldous Huxley

Personally I am able to find beauty in the simplest of melodies or the most complex arrangements.

Status

I like stuff relatively similar. I'm not really sure what your producer's looking for, but what I like usually ranges from idm, hiphop minus legible lyrics, to electronic, to messed up smooth instrumental rock, to a little bit of reggae.

My favorite artists in no particular order:

Tycho
    Vitaminsforyou (I'm sorry for forever and for always)
    Machinedrum/Tstewart/Syndrone
    Tiki Obmar (no longer producing music, but Tarlton is made by some of the same people)
    Tarlton
    Lateduster
    Proem
    Deceptikon
    Frank and Bill(ma0X was awesome, pity they didn't make a cd )
    Secede

More artists on my myspace

Status

Tycho, so good.

Status

you listen too? very cool stuff. and a new release on m3rck this year. should be good.

i've been into deceptikon a lot lately too. on his website there's a download for the live set, the first song on it is kinda meh, but there are so many good ones.