HTC One "Free Fall" Nick Jojola

xiowegian

Reaction score
European versions of this ad use "Tick of the Clock" by The Chromatics, but not here.
It's an 80s alternative tune that goes "ha...ha...ha...ha...ha..." Sort of like a metronome, I remember hearing in the day but I couldn't begin to name this song.

Any clues?

The song is O Superman by performance artist Laurie Anderson. Never thought I'd hear that song in a TV ad, proof that there's a first for everything (and musical depth in some creative dept somewhere).

Rats! When I first heard "Oh, Superman" used in the HTC ad, my first thought was to come here and show-off by being the first to know the name of the tune and artist. I was way too late. Very hip crowd!

My thought exactly. I wondered how many people would recognize the music. She was my second concert of my life. First was Frank Zappa, second was laurie anderson. Around 1985 in Cleveland Ohio. Performance art at its best. Lady GaGa has got nothing on Laurie Anderson.....:confused:

Rats! When I first heard "Oh, Superman" used in the HTC ad, my first thought was to come here and show-off by being the first to know the name of the tune and artist. I was way too late. Very hip crowd!

My thought exactly. I wondered how many people would recognize the music. She was my second concert of my life. First was Frank Zappa, second was laurie anderson. Around 1985 in Cleveland Ohio. Performance art at its best. Lady GaGa has got nothing on Laurie Anderson.....:confused:

lol, I actually attempted to use this music in a super-8 student film back then but switched to Flash Gordon instead. I liked Oh Superman so much I attempted to contact Ms. Anderson via her blog, (that's a joke). I did however actually go to a concert in Los Angeles where Anderson was performing (did not have a ticket however) and asked se be given an envelope with a letter professing my desire to use her music in my music videos.

Never heard back.

It's interesting that the 30 second version airing on television only uses instrumentals, and it is only the 15 second version that utters the phrase "Oh Superman". I am assuming there is some type of conflict over how this music is to be used.

On the surface it appears sneaky to me use Anderson's music in a 30 second spot but not have any lyrics so people can find the song on the internet. Imagine trying to describe the music to someone to try and find out what the song is called.

I'm sorry, but I have to mute my TV every time this ad comes on. If you like it then good for you, but personally I find the "ha ha ha"ing to be one of the most annoying commercials of all time.

Back