ESPN3 "Three Is a Magic Number"

Bigball123

Reaction score
Hey, I am sure you guys living in the US have seen the ESPN3 "Three is a Magic Number" commercial. It has been used quite a bit between the breaks of the World Cup games. It is a cover version, and is NOT the original version by Bob Dorough. I checked cover version by Blind Melon, Jeff Buckley and De La Soul. They are the only versions I could find, and none of them are it either. It sounds more modern (mid 90's), and sounds specifically like Eels. Unfortunately, the commercial is not up on the web, but if you watch ESPN, they play it literally at least once or even twice during the break. Below is the original version just to give you an idea. I hope someone know it!

Is it the Jack Johnson version on the Curious George soundtrack?

Hi. I appreciate you joining the site to answer my question. Unfortunately no. I just forgot to add that to the list. It is not the Jack Johnson version which can be heard here:

Haven't heard the commercial, but I'm betting it's Blind Melon's version of the song. They did it on a CD of modern rock bands re-doing old songs from the Schoolhouse Rock blurbs they used to play on Saturday mornings. Hope this helps!

I actually just found this site as I'm looking for a song, but thought I could help you before I helped myself!

Sorry I'm not familiar with the sound of Eels, but found a live version of the song by Embrace, could that be it?

Last edited:
^ Thanks for that. I know ESPN would not use a live version, so I found the studio version by Embrace, it wasn't it. This version has a rhodes keyboard sound to it in the background (almost like an organ). It is very upbeat, and not as drone. And I don't believe that there is a lot of guitar used.

Yeah, I've been trying to track down the tune also. I thought it sounded like a Sugar Ray cover.

I swear though, it sounds 100% like the Eels, and I am not even that familiar with them. Here is a song by them that is reminiscent the version of "Three Is a Magic Number"

Back