Star Trek

jca

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is anyone else looking forward to the J.J. Abrams Star Trek film based on this trailer? Surprised how good it looks.

Re: Star Trek XI

Is anyone else looking forward to the J.J. Abrams Star Trek film based on this trailer? Surprised how good it looks.

Lifelong Trekkie here. I think Abrams' Star Trek is just what the legacy needs... a reboot.

What is your favorite Trek series and/or film?

The Original Series is my favorite, because it IS the original series. After that, Voyager and Enterprise. My favorite films are The Wrath of Khan and First Contact (They both had the best music too).

• Admin

The Original Series is my favorite, because it IS the original series. After that, Voyager and Enterprise. My favorite films are The Wrath of Khan and First Contact (They both had the best music too).
Well I think Next Generation is my favorite, but enjoyed The Original Series as well. For some reason I watched Voyager (which wasn't that great), but never watched Deep Space Nine or Enterprise at all.

Well I think Next Generation is my favorite, but enjoyed The Original Series as well. For some reason I watched Voyager (which wasn't that great), but never watched Deep Space Nine or Enterprise at all.

Voyager was more like TOS to me. Enterprise Season 3 showed how Captain Archer exemplified Starfleet at it's finest. Enterprise Season 4 is the best season and should have been Season 1. It was the best because Manny Coto was in charge.

• Admin

So I finally saw Star Trek tonight at the theatre. Thought it was very good and glad it lived up to the hype.

What did everyone else think? doctormemory?

I think the movie is Star Trek in the truest sense of the words 'star trek.' I just wish THEY would make a Star Trek movie that does not go anywhere near Earth. It seems like 10 out of 11 Star Trek movies all take place on Earth at one time or another. How can locations on Earth be considered 'Star Trek' boldly going where no one has gone before?

BLUF: I liked the movie. I liked the characters. I LOVED the starship Enterprise.

Now can we just go out on a Trek to the Stars, please?

Also, I thought the Star Trek soundtrack by Michael Giacchino wasn't quite as good as the film. (Hard to top Goldsmith and Horner, obviously.) A lot of the music sounded too much like his "Lost" scores.

Also, lens flare overkill throughout. :)

The best tracks on Michael Giacchino's Star Trek soundtrack are:
4 - Hella Bar Talk
5 - Enterprising Young Men
14&15 - To Boldly Go/End Credits

...however you are absolutely correct... nothing tops the soundtracks to The Wrath of Khan or First Contact.

The soundtrack for The Motion Picture comes is a close third and I have to listen to Search for Spock's "Stealing the Enterprise" over and over without tiring of it.

Director J.J. Abrams was asked about all the lens flares in Star Trek:
I'm curious to hear more about why you decided to use so many lens flares, and exactly when you decided to use them?

[Smiles] I don't know what you're talking about. [Laughs] I'm kidding. I know what you're saying with the lens flares. It was one of those things... I wanted a visual system that felt unique. I know there are certain shots where even I watch and think, "Oh that's ridiculous, that was too many." But I love the idea that the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame.

This movie was more Space Opera than sci-fi (especially compared to past Star Trek movies and TV series). But I still enjoyed it immensely. The flares were overdone, but they never distracted me. I even forgot about them after a little while. I loved the music, this composer is one of my favorites. It doesn't bother me that it sounds similar to his other stuff, becuase that is true of most composers working nowadays. Great casting for all characters.

I think Abrams did a great job in rebooting this Star Trek franchise. 9/10 from me.

I think the movie is Star Trek in the truest sense of the words 'star trek.' I just wish THEY would make a Star Trek movie that does not go anywhere near Earth. It seems like 10 out of 11 Star Trek movies all take place on Earth at one time or another. How can locations on Earth be considered 'Star Trek' boldly going where no one has gone before?

BLUF: I liked the movie. I liked the characters. I LOVED the starship Enterprise.

Now can we just go out on a Trek to the Stars, please?

The way I understood it, It is a different dimantion idea, so they need to start at the beginning. I may go watch this tomorrow.

Back