Dow Chemical

SenorPepe

Reaction score
There had been a previous DOW Chemical commercial (and a thread here which listed the song as being by Susan Voelz).

Well I just saw a new version of the 'Human Element' commercial that had a very nice piano song with a great melody and towards the end the song incorporated some beautiful singing by a woman.

Anyone have any idea what the song is?

Man, I'm surprised others aren't asking about this one. It's a very pretty song.

Originally posted by ripley3@May 18 2008, 10:17 AM
gotta link to the new ad? don't think i've seen it yet. :(

I haven't been able to find it on youtube yet. Sorry.

Ok folks, I found a video of the ad I'm talking about so if anyone could help me figure out what song this is I would really really appreciate it.

Go to this address...

http://www.draftfcb.com/

Click 'what we've done' on the left

Then click 'clients A-H'

Then click 'Dow'

Then click 'television'

Then click the video box and the video should play.

Hi all.. Just letting you know, I too, am in love with this haunting music and, Pepe, I took your advice and also wrote to Draftfcb this evening in hopes of getting a reply back.. I hope more people also will take time to write them, it might get them to respond, even if it's only to tell us they can't help us.. Keep your fingers crossed everyone.. ;)

I emailed also, and did not receive a response. But - this was recently posted on youtube:

Under the comments field, they said that the name of the music is titled "The Ascent" but because it is stock music they do not have access to the composer. I tried searching a few royalty-free music sites but didn't come up with anything. Hopefully someone else will have better luck! It's a very beautiful piece.

Your link didn't work for me, Schatze, but I did do a little searching on Amazon and Itunes and, although there were numerous titles called 'The Ascent' or just 'Ascent', none appeared to be the music to this ad.. I did find a couple of beautiful piano pieces (both titled 'Ascent') that I liked so much I downloaded them, one by Bernardo Sassetti, was eerily similar to our ad music, but after comparing the two they weren't quite the same.. Perhaps someone else will have better luck or know other places to search.. All we can do is wait and keep our fingers crossed.. :lol:

Well folks, I have some news. I got in contact directly with the Dow Chemical PR/customer information people and found out that the I was looking for indeed is from a stock music company.

And just to summarize for the folks interested in the other ads, the music in the other two ads was by Susan Voelz (New Harmony Waltz) and Tunng (an instrumental version of Woodcat).

But for the folks who are bummed out about not being able to get find/buy the piano song I originally posted about there is yet hope...

I was told the following:

"Dow hopes to one day produce a CD containing all of the music used in the Dow commercials."

I meant to say:

"and found out that the song I was looking for is indeed from a stock music company."

not...

"and found out that the I was looking for indeed is from a stock music company."

Note to self, proof read before posting. :D

I cannot get enough of this gorgeous piece of music! Maybe, hopefully, these guys will put it on Amazon or Itune for an MP3 download someday.. B)

Aah. The delicately arpeggiated masterpiece strewn with light synth pads and voice topped off with a mystical and magical feel that makes the Dow Chemical company look great. Sounds like I wrote it, but not the case. However, I am a composer for film and television and I feel obligated to tell some of you on this thread about the biz. It's not always an artist or group's music that gets used, it could be a composer's like myself.

There are a few cases where a composer could be hired to actually write the music for a commercial, but today there are vast music libraries with everything from rock electro pop to underground hip hop jazz. It's usually easier, faster, and cheaper for an ad agency like draft fcb to search the library, pull out what they're looking for and license it. It sucks for the composer if its a big library because there is less of a chance of the music getting licensed. This music is also harder to find once used, as is the case here.

I wish there were a law that they show the creator of the music upon using it either before, after, or during if its a commercial. But, oh well.

It's great to know that there is still a demand for beautiful music out there. In the composing business, its not always beautiful we're after in order to find work. In the olden days however, it was. I think we need to find a way to return to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back