strong synth bass, male vocal

delicious_oil

Reaction score
I've heard a song on the radio with a loud, synthesizer bass line that's 3-4 notes and repeats over and over. The vocal is male and kind of high pitched, layered at times, and goes into falsetto at some point. I could not make out any of the words! It sounds vaguely like a Michael Jackson song but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Any suggestions for what this may be?

These are just weird guesses:

"The City is at War" by Cobra Starship

It's not "Sexyback" by Justin Timberlake, is it?

Maybe it is Michael Jackson. "Billie Jean" or "Bad"?

"You Are The One" by Shiny Toy Guns

"Hold My Hand" by Unkle

nope, none of those! thanks for the suggestions, though.

The song I'm looking for is slowish in tempo, and the synth bass in question is very low, and more like 5-6 notes repeating, with pauses in between, now that I remember...

Also it's probably new, since I've heard it on the radio a few times recently.

Ahh I really thought it might have been the Cobra Starship song.
It's been playing on the radio like crazy.

Popular songs, popular songs...

Try listening to songs from Radiohead's new album, "In Rainbows".

It's really popular right now and they use slow synthesizer-y stuff.

Random thought: "Wake Up Call" by Maroon 5

I love Radiohead... in fact the bass from the mystery song reminds me of All I Need, hehe.

Anyway, it's not Maroon 5 either >.<

What kind of radio station is it; do you know?

A classic rock station, or something geared towards a teen audience...?

This is probably wrong, but this is something I thought of:
"D.A.N.C.E." by Justice

And going off the synthesizer sound, try "Jerk it Out" by the Caesars.

But wait, I'm confused. Is it slow like Radiohead or more pop-ish like Michael Jackson?

Thank you for all your help so far (I'm hooked on that Unkle song now)! But no luck yet. I'm starting to fear that you may not have heard the song at all, my pirate friend. :(

I don't know what the station was because I hear it in the food court at college. I'm guessing the station would have been a techno/dance one, or Top 40.

It's definitely not a rock song like the Ceasars, but rather like a slower, moody techno type song. No static-y guitars, but a smooth, slick sound. The (male) vocals were pop-ish, almost boyband-like, from what I can remember. And the bass part might be a sample. Next time I hear it I'll have to try and write down the words...

Every time I see this post I think of Ne-Yo - Closer, but that also seems wrong.

Originally posted by delicious_oil@Apr 25 2008, 11:13 PM
Thank you for all your help so far (I'm hooked on that Unkle song now)! But no luck yet. I'm starting to fear that you may not have heard the song at all, my pirate friend. :(

I don't know what the station was because I hear it in the food court at college. I'm guessing the station would have been a techno/dance one, or Top 40.

It's definitely not a rock song like the Ceasars, but rather like a slower, moody techno type song. No static-y guitars, but a smooth, slick sound. The (male) vocals were pop-ish, almost boyband-like, from what I can remember. And the bass part might be a sample. Next time I hear it I'll have to try and write down the words...
I LOVE that Unkle song. It was in the movie "21" and the first time I heard it I fell in love with it.

I'm so determined now to find this song.

:lol:

Try, possibly, "Something About Us" by Daft Punk

I shall not give up on this.

Edit: This is just a guess - probably wrong though because this song is sort of an underground-ish thing, but try "Io" by Hellen Stellar.

I visited the websites of some local Top 40 stations and checked each song on their playlist from the past day or so and... nothing. Gah!!

When I find this song, even if it's months down the line, I will let you know, Pirate. If you don't find it first, that is. Meanwhile, does anyone else have any guesses?

Back