Vista

Enyone

Pro Member
Reaction score
Hello loves. I finally got accepted into the Laptop Club. I have a vaio and it has Vista and I'm scared. Anyone else have one or the other?

Talk Dirty to me

yes Fitz you may speak

I have neither. Me? Talk dirty? I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to begin but I'll try. Hmmm. Lets see. Ummmmm...........................

DUST BUNNIES!!!!!!! :naughty:

I have Vista. I don't understand the Vista backlash that has happened to be honest. It works really well for me and it is more secure than XP has been or ever will be. The biggest down side is that it requires more RAM than any other OS out there. But I got 3 GB on my computer so no worries for me.

I understand that there have also been driver issues, but so far I haven't encountered any.

I think that people equate "Micro$oft" as the evil giant more than they have a problem with Vista.

Well, having grown up with windows I always thought it was fine: there were many crashes, corrupt files, a million ways to break your system, but it was all fine because basicly, I didn't know any better.

Then I tried linux. I still use and prefer it today. It was so much more stable, and more importantly, much much faster than windows XP.

Also having to work with Vista, I can safely say I hate it with the power of a thousand suns. Not because it has a MicroSoft logo on it (though my experiences have made it so that logo does indeed have an effect on my bowels) but because I find myself annoyed about every minute using it. I'm used to have a window open when I doubleclick something. Now. Not in 10 seconds, now. And opening it now but filling it with pretty whiteness now, and putting all the relevant stuff in over 10 seconds isn't any better. I am used to being able to open 20 windows at the same time and have em nicely cascading on my screen, at great speed. I'm not gonna go into what happens on windows.

I was expecting Vista to be a huge leap forward, but it seemed to be the opposite, at least concerning the speed thing. (when it comes to stability it seems about the same as XP, only more idiot-proof). So what I do is, I disable all the performance-sucking eyecandy, and I end up with an operating system that looks like windows xp, feels like windows xp, but is still slower and incompatible with over half the hardware and software I have.

I'll admit, I like bashing MicroSoft... but it's not like they're making it hard for me.

Ugh...I'm not a Linux fan at all. Best part is that it is Open Source. I've used it many a times in the past. Apple has the best OS that I've encountered. But that's probably because it is based on UNIX, much like Linux is. Plus Apple has great Customer Service.

But I still like Vista. Each to his/her own I guess.

Originally posted by Scythe@Apr 9 2008, 10:01 AM
opening it now but filling it with pretty whiteness now, and putting all the relevant stuff in over 10 seconds isn't any better.
Thats what happens to me with XP on JAVA apps. Drives me nuts. :annoyed:

I don't understand the ONE CARE CENTER. I can't put my photoshop up cos it's not Vista Compatible, and i've done light research on it, but what I did run across was that Adobe is charging for the patch to make it compatible. Booo. And limewire pro isn't working properly either.

I'm scared cos I just don't know what to do about the one car center and how "Are you sure you want to do this" keeps popping up. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong.

One problem I'm having rightnow is with enternet explorer. I made firefox my default but some programs like Realplayer needs updates and it tries to go through explorer, and for some reason explorer says everything is forbidden..

Vista is growing on me though.

Anyone?

Explorer is telling me that everything is forbidden due to some portol 8100, it suggested I put that portal in my firewall. WTF? so i did and it still does the same thing. Firefox is my default. Is explorer mad at me?

Do you have an anti-virus software installed as well? And did you look at that firewall settings for the anti-virus? Most anti-virus software nowadays come with firewalls and they come as default on. I turned mine off and just use the windows firewall. My computer was having troubles communicating with my xbox until I turned off the Norton's firewall.

Originally posted by goodasgold@Apr 11 2008, 06:08 AM
I turned mine off and just use the windows firewall.
I would suggest the opposite :p

Windows Firewall only blocks incoming ports, not the outgoing ones.

I tried the opposite first. I turned off windows firewall and left Nortons on. But it was still giving me troubles with the Norton firewall. Then I decided to turn off Norton's and let Windows be my default firewall.

I have tried everything I am capible of doing. I don't speak great computer. but I just tried turning the firewall off, which is what it toldme to do. well it toldme to add the port in my firewall. I'm confused, why would windows block their own (explorer)? I even tried dong the proxy setting trick or whatever you will call it. Nada. I'm getting frustrated. I seriously think its cos the friend made firefox the default. thats the only thing i can think of. Ive even made explorer default again. Nada.

Does this only happen when you try to update real player? Also, out of curiosity, what is the exact phrase when it says that it is forbidden?

Are you behind a router?

I am quite confident setting Firefox as default browser would not hinder programs like that.

Back