Sprint "Welcome to the New Network"

dely

Reaction score
Bit different for this site, but the music in this commercial was something classical that I vaguely recognized from my childhood when my dad played that stuff. I wasn't watching the commercial, so don't know if the visual was the same throughout, but I looked up at the end and the scene seemed to be in a cathedral. The tagline was as above in topic title.

I searched at the link listed in other Sprint threads, but didn't get anyhing. Any thoughts?

Was it kind of a quiet/relaxing commercial with a violin playing in the background?

I didn't pay much attention either to the actual commercial either. I just remember some black and white (or just very low coloring) rainy scenes in slowmotion.

No, Jason192, I think it was a bigger arrangement; not quite full orchestra, but I think, if I remember correctly, it was a bit of orchestral arrangement as background, with organ as the dominant instrument. I say that partly because it sounded very familiar to me but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I'm sure it was something my dad used to listen to - I'm thinking Saint Saens (sp?) or something like that. Dad was an organist and liked stuff with the organ up front, backed by some orchestra. The visual (the bit I saw) suited this type of music too - cathedral or cathedral-like. Thanks for trying though! Anyone else?

Sorry for the double post - if there's an edit function available that I've missed, anyone please feel free to rub my nose in it. Anyway, I'm correcting the tagline; it's actually "Welcome to the Now Network". Did a bunch more searching and have watched the commercial online. It's got Dan Hesse (CEO?) walking and talking on a city street - black and white. -music very soft while he's talking and swells in volume when they show print lines onscreen. What I thought was a cathedral at a quick glance is a bridge with overhead buttresses very reminiscent of a cathedral. The music is definitely organ but there's a violin-like melody line also - either using the violin stop on the organ, or an actual violin. So them's the facts m'am. I did do a live chat with a Sprint rep, but she didn't have a clue and said she'd research and get back to me. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm afraid that I don't recognize the piece, but here's a LINK to the commercial (via a forum).

Thanks thx99. I've found it online too but didn't think to post a link. Also, it's showing up a lot on TV right now - I've seen it quite a bit on A&E. It's starting to bug. I know I should know this piece! Hopefully someone else out there has a classical background or parent with one, and a better memory than me??!

Originally posted by thx99@Apr 12 2008, 06:30 AM
I'm afraid that I don't recognize the piece, but here's a LINK to the commercial (via a forum).
Thanks.

Well, I was right about the black and white and that is the song I am looking for as well, it only started differently (visually). After the guy is done talking it's all the same, but the one I saw didn't have a guy talking. I have no clue why this matters lol.... but thanks again for the link. That's the song.

I am reviving this thread because I, too, want to know. Perhaps with more people having seen the commercial by this point, someone knows? PLEASE?

-Syd

Am hoping someone's got this by now??? The commercial's getting a lot of high profile air, i.e. last night's (Thurs May 1) ep of Grey's. Anyone know the piece?

Are you high? That's not it at all!

Or if it is, it's not at that part.

-Syd

I'd have to agree with the above poster: I'm 99% positive it's not the Requium mentioned two posts up. I went to YouTube and listened to 6 or 7 versions. For starters, all of them have choral vocals, and the Sprint commercial version is strictly instrumental. However, even if you mentally strip the vocals while listening, it's just not the same piece.

It aired during Grey's last week; it aired *2X*!!! during Bros and Sisters this past Sunday. Are there no classical buffs out there who also watch popular TV?? (wipes tear from corner of eye), pleasepleaseplease?

So here's the website for antfood: http://www.antfood.com/

The music isn't up but it does say that new work is coming soon, including from Sprint, so I think this is probably right. I'll send them an e-mail and see if I can find out if we can get it.

-Syd

No, no.. It's not Marble Halls.. I know the one Dely is talking about, it's CLASSICAL music, like from Brahms or Bach or one of the other 'great' composers of long ago, but I can't remember the name either, although I'm searching too.. I remember, as a child, a friend of the family used to play this piece, along with many other great works, but unfortunately, she has passed away long ago.. Also, this piece was played numerous times on the 'America's Castles' series, as well as, several PBS mini-series.. Perhaps it's Chopin or Mozart, but I just can't remember.. Maybe this will help jog someone's memory who has knows more about classical music then either myself or Dely.. :lol: I'm old and I forget things I did yesterday, so I can't be blamed for things I can't remember from my youth.. Someone help us.. :D For a refresher on the tune go up to Docmemory's Youtube link.. That's the commercial we are talking about..
On a second request, but on the same topic, the CLASSICAL musical piece the little kid is playing on the piano to his grandmother over the phone, does anyone know or remember the name of it? Thanks guys.. (The old gal dons her sunglasses and moves off into the shadows..) B)

The poster who said it was from Antfood is right. It's a contemporary piece composed by Andrew Barkan. I got this e-mail from Antfood:

It was our job (for Goodby Silverstein in San Francisco). I'm glad that people are interested! I am CCing my partner Polly, who may have some more info.

We do have two versions, one is what eventually went to air, while the other was a more complete version - the composer is Andrew Barkan.

I can see if we can find a version for download, however, I'm not sure if we will be able to provide that.

That was six days ago and I haven't heard from either the guy who wrote that e-mail or Polly, so, I dunno. Given that it was created for a commercial, it's probably not available to the public. But I might try e-mailing Andrew Barkan directly. He didn't give a name for the piece so I don't know if it's called 'Marble Halls' or not.

-Syd

I still really think this is an original Classical piece. It's got the "busy" feel of Bach and sounds a lot like one of the Trumpet Voluntaries my Dad used to play on the organ. I'm almost positive I recognize it from yore; I don't think it's a contemporary, classical style piece. If someone can link me to a website that actually plays the piece, with a contemporary composer's credit, or if someone could post the email address for this person Andrew, or one of his colleagues, I'd really like to confirm with them exactly which Sprint commercial they're talking about.

So pleased this is getting some interest, and thanks for all the posts.

I have the answer!

It WAS Andrew Barkan for Antfood, and the piece IS called Marble Halls, as the other poster said.

I e-mailed Andrew Barkan directly, linked him the YouTube video, and his response is very clear - he is the composer of the classical-sounding piece we're talking about:

Hey Sydnie,

I am indeed the Andrew Barkan who composed the music for said Sprint commercial -- glad you liked it! I'm a freelance composer for film and television and I'm honored that my work was confused with any classical master. The piece (entitled "Marble Halls") was composed, orchestrated, and mixed in the mold of a number of different Baroque coronation anthems, notably Handel's "Zadok the Priest". Unfortunately, I believe the track won't be available for download in the immediate future as Sprint holds an exclusive license for the next three or four months.

I appreciate your interest in my work and would be happy to answer any more questions -- and please check out Antfood's other spots and give them your reviews!

Cheers,
Andrew Barkan
andrew(at)andrewbarkan.com

So we know! But unfortunately, we can't get the track (yet?). I'm duly sad, but now I have to check out Handel's "Zadok the Priest."

-Syd

Wow, what a nice guy! Be sure to let us know if and when we can download it.. I went to Amazon to listen to Handel's 'Zadok the Priest' and it certainly does has the same distinct 'flavor' to it.. I even bought the MP3 download.. But it's still not the song I'm remined of when I listen to the commercial.. I think of a 'minuet' by Bach or Beethovan more then this piece by Handel.. Still it's nice to know it's not THE 'Marble Halls' I've listened to on Amazon, so at least, that's settled.. :lol: Thanks a lot, Syd.. Now if you could only solve my other questions..... (hint, hint).. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much sydnita. I knew you guys would come through in the end. I was also glad to hear the composer say he modeled it after the Baroque composers, as Bach was of that era, and it was he that this piece mainly called to mind for me. It's been a long time since I've listened to much classical music, but this tells me I've still at least sorta got my ear for it!!

Also, thank you to Andrew Barkan, if he's checking out this site, for taking the time to write such a detailed response, and thanks to everyone who put their heads together on my original query.

Back