Songs About Africa?

bambi

Reaction score
Does anybody know any songs about/featuring Africa? Or any songs that are traditional African songs? Please let me know!

Thanks!

-bambi

Uh the first one that comes to mind is 'Africa' by Toto. B)

M.I.A. talks about Africa a lot in her songs, such as "20 Dollar" where she says $20 can buy you an AK47 in Africa.

Originally posted by bambi@Mar 30 2008, 03:24 AM
Does anybody know any songs about/featuring Africa? Or any songs that are traditional African songs? Please let me know!

Thanks!

-bambi
The Blood Diamond movie soundtrack has some good songs for what your looking for.

and the song: Dr. Alban - "Hello Africa" is what your looking for too.

"Afrikan Dream" - Vicky Sampson

You can hear a clip of it here.

I love this song. :D

Just from googling...
Howie Day - "Arfica"
Yaki - "Pride of Africa"
Bob Marley - "Africa Unite"
D'Angelo - "Africa"
Akon - "Mama Africa"

There are some well known South African singers I know of who sing rather traditional songs (but not in English):
Miriam Makeba (she even won a Grammy)
Johnny Clegg a.k.a "The White Zulu"

Remember the film "Tsotsi"? Check out the soundtrack, it's not very traditional African music, but a taste of current S. African music by it's native artists.

There's also a Belgian singer named Helmut Lotti who has an album called Classics out of Africa where he sings a lot of popular classics, some from Clegg and Makeba, and even in the native tongue (e.g. Xhosa or the click language). He does a pretty good job. U could just look him up if you don't want to check all those others.

Back