a historic or an historic

I'll give it to you from the perspective of an English major who's taking a senior/graduate level grammar course this semester: "an" is grammatically correct, but I personally don't know anyone who uses it in every day speech. So, as a native speaker, I use "a", but if you want what it should technically be, it's "an". ;)

But there are countless things that are considered grammatically correct that just don't make sense.

To name one floating somewhere in my head... judgment and judgement are both correct as well, though the latter obviously makes the most sense to me.

I'm really puzzled why anyone would use 'an history' :unsure:

This is so interesting! (Well, I find these things interesting!!!)

English is not my first language, but I was an English major and I've said 'a historic...' all my life. I acquired my second language, English, through reading and watching TV, movies, and the news and I can say I never came across 'an historic...' before. I think I would have remembered since 'an historic...' sounds a bit, let's say, different!! But I have been listening to it a lot lately, which confused the hell outta me!!! I guess I'm so used to 'a historic...'

How about: "I lit the candle" or "I lighted the candle. They're both correct. :leela:

Well......."an" is what I use but grammatically I'm all over the place being a native Californian but having grown up in the South. So don't go by me.
It isn't uncommon for me to use polysyllabic words during an argument and then conclude said argument with, "I just ain't gonna do it." :rolleyes:

Originally posted by leone@Feb 29 2008, 09:16 AM
How about: "I lit the candle" or "I lighted the candle. They're both correct. :leela:
lighted? Now THAT sounds "retarted" :rolleyes: :p

Originally posted by givemfitz@Feb 29 2008, 11:21 AM
It isn't uncommon for me to use polysyllabic words during an argument and then conclude said argument with, "I just ain't gonna do it." :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: Marry me. :mellow:

Originally posted by givemfitz+Feb 29 2008, 11:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (givemfitz @ Feb 29 2008, 11:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leone@Feb 29 2008, 09:16 AM
lighted? Now THAT sounds "retarted" :rolleyes: :p [/b][/quote]
:lol: I was reading something and saw it. "Did he just say lighted?!"

Hmm, this is very interesting to me. In Canada we say "eh" historic. Sorry, bad joke. I can hear the crickets already. :ph34r:

I'm hearing golf claps. :p

Isn't it whether or not you pronounce the "h"? If you do, then you would say "a historic" and if not then you would say "an istoric" and the H is implied because you said 'an'. British folk say herbs and we don't.

Originally posted by sketchyrx@Feb 29 2008, 11:07 PM
I'm hearing golf claps. :p

Isn't it whether or not you pronounce the "h"? If you do, then you would say "a historic" and if not then you would say "an istoric" and the H is implied because you said 'an'. British folk say herbs and we don't.
im pretty sure she's right on this one ;) .. about whether or not u pronounce "h"

i didnt know other ppl wondered about these things.. cuz i have in my 18 yrs of life!! lol

Back