Math problem

a_iver

Tauntor
Reaction score
Help me!!! I'm working on a project and I'm trying to make an equation to plug the numbers in, not so much trying to solve the problem, because the values will be constantly changing. So I have this right triangle. a^2 + b^2 = c^2, right? Well c is always equal to 3. But 'a' and 'b' are always changing. When 'a' increases, 'b' decreases. I think they might be inversely proportional.. so i think i'm trying to solve for a. I might be missing information.... my brain is fried... any takers? :p

Is this the Schrodinger's cat of the math world? :lol:

i don't know!!! i keep trying to figure it out... there's actually way more to it, but this is the problem (at least most of it) and i keep confusing myself

Pretty easy, really.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
a^2 = c^2 - b^2
a = sqrt(c^2 - b^2)

IMPORTANT: Normally, taking the square root of both sides (the last step) would require adding a +/- ("plus or minus") to the right side. However, it's not necessary here, because I'm assuming you don't have any triangles with negative dimensions... hmm, anti-triangles... :)

A train is going in a straight line from the train station to the supermarket. The entire distance is 3 miles. How many miles west is it going?

Originally posted by neo979@Jan 7 2008, 12:34 AM
Pretty easy, really.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
a^2 = c^2 - b^2
a = sqrt(c^2 - b^2)

IMPORTANT: Normally, taking the square root of both sides (the last step) would require adding a +/- ("plus or minus") to the right side. However, it's not necessary here, because I'm assuming you don't have any triangles with negative dimensions... hmm, anti-triangles... :)
but i don't know how to get 'b'

edit- hold on, let me rephrase this...

i need to make the equation without using 'b' (i don't have access to it), but from the two sets of coordinates that make the hypotenuse

Well.......I'm not sure what the problem is. Get some sleep. :lol:

If C is always 3 then you can make any of the other two values whatever you want and solve for the missing one. No?

And for the train........it would be one of two answers depending on the latitude. It would be either three miles for a westbound train or the circumference of the earth minus three miles at whatever latitude your station and store happen to occupy for an eastbound train. Assuming of course that the train is in fact moving parallel to the equator and no other direction. ;)

Originally posted by a_iver+Jan 6 2008, 09:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (a_iver @ Jan 6 2008, 09:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-neo979@Jan 7 2008, 12:34 AM
Pretty easy, really.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
a^2 = c^2 - b^2
a = sqrt(c^2 - b^2)

but i don't know how to get 'b'

edit- hold on, let me rephrase this...

i need to make the equation without using 'b' (i don't have access to it), but from the two sets of coordinates that make the hypotenuse [/b][/quote]
So that's solving for B then... pretty much the same deal.

b = sqrt(c^2 - a^2)

If the triangle has been given to you in coordinate form, you can find the vertical distance between points by subtracting one y-coordinate from the other, or the horizontal distance by subtracting one x-coordinate from the other.

Originally posted by a_iver@Jan 6 2008, 09:41 PM

i need to make the equation without using 'b' (i don't have access to it), but from the two sets of coordinates that make the hypotenuse
Well now I'm confused. How can you have the Pythagorean theorem without b? Unless you mean b is always what you're solving for........yeah confused :lol:

Originally posted by givemfitz@Jan 7 2008, 12:50 AM
Well.......I'm not sure what the problem is. Get some sleep. :lol:

If C is always 3 then you can make any of the other two values whatever you want and solve for the missing one. No?

And for the train........it would be one of two answers depending on the latitude. It would be either three miles for awestbound train or the circumference of the earth minus three miles at whatever latitude your station and store happen to occupy for an east bound train. Assuming of course that the train is in fact moving horizontal to the equator and no other direction. ;)
two points connected make up the hypotenuse 'c'. their coordinates are (g,h) and (i,j). The length of the segment is 3. so then i have to find the length of 'a', one of the legs of the right triangle. i don't get to pick what 'a' is, but i have to make an equation to find 'a' without using 'b'

forget the train i was talking crazy for a second. :ph34r: :lol:

so then g-i=a (x coordinates) and h-j=b (y coordinates)

i have to think...

Originally posted by a_iver@Jan 6 2008, 09:57 PM

two points connected make up the hypotenuse 'c'. their coordinates are (g,h) and (i,j). The length of the segment is 3. so then i have to find the length of 'a', one of the legs of the right triangle. i don't get to pick what 'a' is, but i have to make an equation to find 'a' without using 'b'

forget the train i was talking crazy for a second. :ph34r: :lol:
Well if memory serves the closest you can get with those values is

C = sqrt Asq + Bsq but maybe someone that didn't take Trig 25 years ago would be more help. :lol:

If the coordinates are given as (g,h) and (i,j), then this already defines the values for both a and b, since a has to be (i-g) and b has to be (j-h).

You can substitute these values into the equation as appropriate for the phrasing of the problem, which would allow you to re-express an equation like a = sqrt(c^2 - b^2) without using the actual terms "a" and "b," since you have re-expressed them in a different form.

Originally posted by givemfitz+Jan 6 2008, 11:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (givemfitz @ Jan 6 2008, 11:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-a_iver@Jan 6 2008, 09:41 PM

Well now I'm confused. How can you have the Pythagorean theorem without b? Unless you mean b is always what you're solving for........yeah confused :lol: [/b][/quote]
I think he means that there are two unknowns. In which case you have to make an equation using a and b

ie: a+b=c
a=c-b

then you substitue your "known" a into the original equation.

(c-B)+b=c

The thing is in this case it keeps turning into zero. So I'm either out of practice or the numbers are off. :ph34r:

oh no, wait... the coordinates would be equal to (0,0) and (a, 'B').... i'm going in circles i swear..

Originally posted by a_iver@Jan 7 2008, 12:08 AM
oh no, wait... the coordinates would be equal to (0,0) and (a, 'B').... i'm going in circles i swear..
Dude hang on, what are the givens of this question?

Originally posted by a_iver+Jan 7 2008, 12:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (a_iver @ Jan 7 2008, 12:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leone@Jan 7 2008, 01:08 AM
(c-B)+b=c
well know i know i'm fucking confused :lol: [/b][/quote]
( C-B ) + B = C

B) :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by leone+Jan 7 2008, 01:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leone @ Jan 7 2008, 01:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-a_iver@Jan 7 2008, 12:08 AM
Dude hang on, what are the givens of this question? [/b][/quote]
i dunno anymore :eek:ut:

Back