JCPenney

reedk4

Reaction score
I just caught the tail end of it, but there was a woman running back to a taxi cab. The song reminded me or is an older rock song. I think some of the lyrics say "get it on... ??? it on... ??? on" and is repeated several times.

Any help? Thanks.

It's a remix of "Bang a Gong" by T-Rex, but I don't know who did it... sorry.

The Power Station also did a remix of this in the 80's. Not sure who the artist is in the commercial though, sorry.....

It is a new cover of the song Bang a Gong (Get it on) by T-Rex. It sounds like it is by Jacob Dylan with or without his band The Wallflowers. I don't know if it available on iTunes or something. Hope that helps!

It's definitely Jakob Dylan. JC Penny has the exclusive track on it's website although the version in thecommercial sounds remixed. Can't find it to download yet. Hope it helps. - Joy

Just heard a version by boomtang boys - could this be the one in the girl ad? - Joy

The version that's used in the commercial with the ladies is a remix of the original by T-Rex (sorry I'm old enough to recognize Marc Bolan's voice even if the song's remixed). Jakob Dylan's version on the JCP website isn't even close to the one in the commercial.

Jakob Dylan does the version on the guys ad - sorry for that mix up. - Joy

Hi folks,

About a year and a half ago (maybe a little longer) JC Penney ran a series of new ads which featured T. Rex's "Get it On". When I contacted JC Penney directly online to inquire about the music, they declined to be helpful. But there's so much on the web, figured folks here might know. Anyone know how to get the short remixed version of T. Rex's "Get it On" which accompanied the commercial? And if so, is there a longer remix in this style to be found? Interested and grateful for help,

-- Josh

I know that the original song is "Get It On" (Brit release name) and "Bang a Gong" (US release name) by T. Rex from the 1973 album Electric Warrior. I've got it in vinyl. The question is how/whether/where I can get the remix used for the JC Penney TV commercial. Or is that available at iTunes, too?
-- Josh

Nope, it was most certainly the original T. Rex song Get It On, remixed in a neat way.
-- Josh

Originally posted by Bethy43160@Apr 18 2006, 10:48 AM
It IS the version by the Boomtang boys. I just downloaded it :)
Where did you download it? I searched iTunes and the few other places I could look. I would be happy to pay for the tune. Just need to know where.
-- Josh

Thanks. Amazon is ultimately where I found it and purchased it. of course, I purchased an actual CD album just so I can have one song in mp3 format. Y'know how many audio CD's I own? None. I did own one years ago... T. Rex's Electric Warrior. Love that song. I'll have to wait a few more days before the music arrives by snail-mail, but it'll be worth it.
-- Josh

Originally posted by Bethy43160@Apr 18 2006, 10:48 AM
It IS the version by the Boomtang boys. I just downloaded it :)
HI folks,

I'm afraid that this isn't correct. The version of "Bang a Gong" by Boomtang Boys is not a remix, it is their own original version. More importantly, it is NOT the version in the JC Penney women's version of the "Get It On" themed ad series from back in 2006. I recorded the 56 second ad while it streamed from the JC Penney website when the ad was current and they happily streamed it to the public on the web. The recording is not great quality, but the recording is of the ad and makes it easy to compare. The JC Penney ad that we're all talking about here is the actual T. Rex version of "Bang a Gong/Get it On" remixed. The lead singer of T. Rex, Marc Bolan, is indisputably singing the lyrics, the original guitar riffs are in there which make it so distinctive, but it is sped up a bit at points and a pulsating percussive addition of more background music is added. Note, this is not the Jakob Dylan version of Bang a Gong that accompanied another JC Penney ad in the series. And it certainly is not this mediocre Boomtang Boys. By the way, I've searched hard for this ad's source. It is not the London Bus Stop version, although that version is the snappiest remake of Bang a Gong that I've heard. Nor is it a version by Mickey Finn, nor is it Power Station, nor is it Blondie (yes, she really did cut a version of Bang a Gong, and it is dreadful), nor is DanielZ's version.

[Admin Edit: Text removed. Please do not share music or invite others to do so as that is against forum rules. Thanks.]

-- Josh

It isn't Boomtang Boys. Any other thoughts? Just keeping the thread going a little longer hoping someone remembers this. See my previous post above.
-- Josh

Back