Pink Floyd and The Wizard of Oz

Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai

Reaction score
I've heard some Floyd fans actually watch The Wizard of Oz with the sound off, while synchronistically playing The Wall album. Hmm. Must have first been done by a stoner. <_<

I've never done this myself... Even though Floyd is my favorite, not just of the rock genre, but of all music, and though I do like the Wiz, I just don't have the inclination to waist two hours. :) Just wonderin'... Any bloke here ever done it? :what:

Anyhow, as I was watching 300 recently, I kept thinking how this film would fit so well with Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. :eek: Of course, 300 runs about 1hour56min long, whereas Dark Side is only about 43min total. :( Hmm. Maybe watch the movie while listening to both Dark Side & Wish You Were Here albums? :unsure:

For Heaven's sake, think about it! :eek:

P.S. Man, that settles it... I'm a true genius. :)

Here's a site that actually explains it in detail.

But what I wanna know is how the Hell can ya watch a 101 min film with a 43 min "soundtrack", namely Dark Side?!? HA! :angry:

Not much of a genius if you can't follow the simple instructions of some stoner. Read it again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes I've done it several times. but not since the advent of the VCR. Used to wait for it to come on tv and make a night of it. We'd have a party and someone would bring a second turntable because we did it on Vinyl. ;)

I did it while tripping and it was amazing. ............... :unsure: I probably shouldn't have said that.

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@Mar 24 2007, 10:20 PM
I did it while tripping and it was amazing. ............... :unsure: I probably shouldn't have said that.
:lol: Oh the things we reveal about ourselves. :D

No friggin' way! Us & Them is a totally sacred song to me. Besides, it's a song which was no doubt inspired by concurrent events of the Vietnam War at the time--the early 1970's. Everytime I see reports on Iraq, this song comes to mind immediately. O, the madness of it all! :( I can't even imaging listening to this song to a bunch of dancing munchkins. This is an anti-war song/album, not a munchkin song! :eek:

And yet, someday, I'll try it anyway. Just don't have the patience right now.

P.S. And yes, I'm a bjerk. :)

Not sure I get where you're coming from. I've always believed that someone discovered this by accident the same way you do if you're channel surfing while listening to music and stop on anything animated.

Are you saying that the site implies that PF arranged the whole album around the movie? If so I'm missing something.

I've never taken it as anything but an incredible coincidence AND some things in the music don't really match anything in the movie. ;) But it's pretty cool that so much of it does none the less. :D

Originally posted by Sir_Garland+Mar 24 2007, 11:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sir_Garland @ Mar 24 2007, 11:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Seriously, how old are you??[/b]

If you're talkin to me... I'm 31. :)

Originally posted by givemfitz@Mar 24 2007, 11:58 PM
Not sure I get where you're coming from. I've always believed that someone discovered this by accident the same way you do if you're channel surfing while listening to music and stop on anything animated.
No way, gotta have been done first by a stoner. My favourite film of all time is Fellini's 8 1/2. Sometimes I have it on but w/ vol. off, and play various selections of my favourite songs--including by Floyd. But I certainly never sync the music to the film. Ergo, only a crazy stoner would bother to do such a thing... :eek:

Originally posted by givemfitz@Mar 24 2007, 11:58 PM

Are you saying that the site implies that PF arranged the whole album around the movie? If so I'm missing something.
:what:

<!--QuoteBegin-givemfitz
@Mar 24 2007, 11:58 PM

I've never taken it as anything but an incredible coincidence AND some things in the music don't really match anything in the movie. ;) But it's pretty cool that so much of it does none the less. :D
[/quote]
Sure, but by this logic, I'm sure that if looked hard enough, you could find "incredible coincidences" with an episode of the Smurfs :smurf: and Bob Marley's Redemption Song. But what would be the point of it?!? :ermm:

Well your so called CRAZY stoners of that era are now CEOs, Drs, Lawyers, Judges, Police Chiefs, and the majority of people running the country. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to find a few of them actually putting things into space. But maybe you buy into that "We never went to the moon" bullshit.
I think you're spending way too much time criticizing something you've admittedly never tried. By that logic anything can be brought to task. ;)

Originally posted by givemfitz@Mar 25 2007, 06:14 AM
Hell I wouldn't be surprised to find a few of them actually putting things into space.
And blowing stuff up? :wub:

Originally posted by Sir_Garland@Mar 25 2007, 01:20 AM
:wub:

Ahhh Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai, I've missed you so much. Is your name Jeff by any chance?

Look, I don't get exactly why you have your panties in a bunch, but the whole point of Dark Side Of The Wizard is that it's a surrealish coincidence (or not, I read an interview where they vaguely implied it was intentional) and it's fun and it's cool. Who cares who did it first? If it was some stoner, so the fuck what? He was a PIONEER, man. History always remembers the first people to do something.

And in case you still haven't figured it out, it's not supposed to last the entire movie. The heartbeats at the end come at a part where the Tin Man is talking about wanting a heart (I think), and then that's it, you have to turn the volume of the movie back up.

Are potheads still doing this shit? :lol: If you do it, Kauai, I suggest you smoke/take something first; it's pretty lame otherwise.

It is not, I was always sober. :( But turn out the lights at least. Maybe wait for a thunderstorm. :)

Originally posted by dascoot@Mar 25 2007, 04:37 AM
Ahhh Na_Pali_Coast_Kauai, I've missed you so much. Is your name Jeff by any chance?

Look, I don't get exactly why you have your panties in a bunch, but the whole point of Dark Side Of The Wizard is that it's a surrealish coincidence (or not, I read an interview where they vaguely implied it was intentional) and it's fun and it's cool. Who cares who did it first? If it was some stoner, so the fuck what? He was a PIONEER, man. History always remembers the first people to do something.

And in case you still haven't figured it out, it's not supposed to last the entire movie. The heartbeats at the end come at a part where the Tin Man is talking about wanting a heart (I think), and then that's it, you have to turn the volume of the movie back up.
:huh:

Hmm. Pretty sure it's not me with my shorts in a bunch.

Back