CBS line-up CSI, NCIS, and Cold Case

pokee99

Reaction score
I've been looking for a song for quite some time (10 years!). I believe it was originally featured in a Irish Tourism Commercial in the US (1-800-Shamrock). It's also been used on the Canadian Weather Network and more recently in previews for CBS TV shows (like Cold Case). It's also a theme that has been used for several years by an organization called "This Living World". There's a video clip on their website that features the whole snippet of music I've heard time and time again, so you can see EXACTLY what the theme is and what it sounds like:

http://www.thislivingworld.com/wildlife.html

I found this info on FAQs for Enya when looking for this song:

The Irish Tourism Board commercial aired in the US (1995-1996) is by Clannad, and the singer is Maire ("Moya") Brennan, Enya's sister. It was a special commission similar to - but not the same as - Clannad's theme for the Thames TV programme "Harry's Game."

Someone told me this EXACT theme/song/lyrics are featured in the Chicane mix called "Saltwater". I have listened to the two mixes of this song on his "Behind the Sun" CD, and both of these mixes sound like they just have samples of "Harry's Game" or a different variation of "Harry's Game" - not the music featured on the website I posted. Is there a different mix of Saltwater that could be it?

Can anyone confirm if the music link I have posted here is indeed Clannad/Maire Brennan, and where I can find a download or CD of this mix?

I've been looking for this song for so long.....any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Paula

Well Paula, your very detailed description has peaked my curiosity. I downloaded "Saltwater" by Chicane a while back and it sounds right (and very good) to me. Are you saying there are mixes of Saltwater or that Saltwater is the one mix which you may be seeking?

Paula,

As you mention in your post, the song you're looking for has been used in previews/promos/ads for CBS television shows. The song was used in a promo for the fifth season finale of "CSI" called "Grave Danger" which aired in May of 2005. At the time, someone posted a request for the title of the song and artist.

To the best of my knowledge, an answer was never found. Many people suspected, like you, that it was Clannad, or Enya, or Lorena McKennitt, or someone similar. However, nobody could find the song. People tried to search for the song based on the lyrics, but nobody could agree on what they were. Some thought they were "all alone, all a little low," or "all low, a little lone," or "all alone, all a little lone," or something similar.

Anyway, it's clearly not some variation on the theme from "Harry's Game." As you know, the theme from "Harry's Game" was used in an Irish tourism commercial a long time ago. It was also used in the motion picture "Patriot Games." What is clear, is that the lyrics in the song you're looking for, whatever they are, aren't the Gaelic lyrics and distinct theme from "Harry's Game."

I tried to find the song a year and a half ago when I read the "Grave Danger" promo post. I listened to a whole lot of Mick (I can write that since I am one)chicks singing. After a while, they all sound the same. Unfortunately, when searching most people are only able to listen to brief clip on sites like Amazon.

Not only that, but the song may be production music. I don't know if you know what that is, but I'm not going to bother explaining what it is. If it is production music, it would be from one of dozens of production music companies such as, 5 Alarm Music, Immediate Music, Non Stop Music, Extreme Music, or others. Each production music company has hundreds of music cues used in movies, movie trailers, promos, ads, commercials, television shows.

The only certain way to find the song is to e-mail someone, or some company that has used the song in a video. I'm sure many people e-mailed CBS to find the song used in the promos like the "Grave Danger" commercial. I'm also sure that CBS didn't bother to answer their question if they even bothered to send a reply. I think the only way you'll find the song is if you e-mail the This Living World people. Hopefully, they either know or bother to find the answer, and reply to you.

Good luck, and let me know if you find it.

Originally posted by logan01@Dec 20 2006, 06:45 PM
Well Paula, your very detailed description has peaked my curiosity. I downloaded "Saltwater" by Chicane a while back and it sounds right (and very good) to me. Are you saying there are mixes of Saltwater or that Saltwater is the one mix which you may be seeking?
No - I have Saltwater and it's NOT the song I am looking for (although, a VERY good mix with Maire singing, though, and they do have other mixes that I thought could be the song I was looking for - but now I don't think so).

I think the other poster is correct - it's not Clannad but sounds like it (or Enya, Maire or some other kind of Irish singer).

Saltwater is good, though, isn't it? I bought the Chicane album - very well done.

Thanks for your reply!
Paula

Originally posted by Four King Twenty@Dec 20 2006, 07:54 PM
I think the only way you'll find the song is if you e-mail the This Living World people. Hopefully, they either know or bother to find the answer, and reply to you.

Good luck, and let me know if you find it.
I did e-mail "This Living World" several years ago asking to find out who sang the song and if it was available on CD. I did get a response, but it was kind of a convaluted one. She said there was some sort of membership I could buy or something like that where I could get the music, but there was no mention of the artist's name, the song name or whether it was "production" music as you suggested. I think the music would have been in the form of a DVD video (and not a CD track).

I kind of have a feeling that this song IS in fact production music, because it seems to be used exclusively by television stations for commercials, promos and for organizations.

I will e-mail "This Living World" again and see if I get a different response. I'll let you know what I find out - since you have a vested interest, too!

Thanks!
Paula

I am going to start a new thread on this one - since I seem to be incorrect about Clannad being the artist of the song I am looking for.

Thanks again for your help!
Paula

Okay, I had posted a question in a different thread thinking this song was a Clannad song, but now I think I am wrong. So, I am going to re-direct this conversation seeking help from people that may have watched Cold Case or CSI (I think it was in 2003 or 2004 show promos on CBS).

This piece of music is about 10 years old. I first heard it on Canada's Weather Network. It began popping up over the years in promos for TV shows and ads for organizations - like one called "This Living World". They've been using this same piece of music for about 6 years now (or around that). Here is a video from their website where they use the music:

http://www.thislivingworld.com/wildlife.html

At first I thought it was Enya, then someone said it sounded like the song from the Irish Tourist Board's 1-800-SHAMROCK commercial that aired in the US from 1995 - 1996 - which happened to be Maire (Moya) Brennan from the band Clannad. Now I think it's neither of them - but someone else (since another poster here thinks the lyrics are English - not Celtic).

I contacted This Living World several years ago, but haven't received a clear answer as to WHO sings this song and WHAT it is called. I am going to try again.

Others who were looking for this song a while back when they saw it on CSI's "Grave Danger" promo e-mailed CBS, but never did get a response.

Any light you can shed on WHO sings this song or WHAT the title is would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Paula

I contacted "This Living World" and this is the reply they gave me:

The music track is from a library - not released for sale

I wrote back to see if they could give me more info on the library (who they purchased it from). I am assuming this means it's production music - I am not too familiar with the production music companies or how their music/music rights are sold/distributed. I am still very curious to find out who the composer/artist and vocalist are.

I'll keep you posted....
Paula

pokee99,

I'm not sure if this will help, but here goes. I think that you (or somebody) said that this song was used as a promo for CSI's "Grave Danger" episode. Most of the people on the other boards looking for this song have made the mistake of trying to contact the composer for the episode. The problem with that is that CBS has a different person who does the music for the promo. If we go to the IM
Db and look up the full cast and crew for CSI's "Grave Danger," we find that the guy in charge of promo music for this episode is Warren Giancaterino. We also find that the only way to get in touch with him is probably through his "myspace" page. Unfortunately, I don't have a "myspace" account, so I can't contact him. If you do or know somebody who does try writing him. Here is the address:

http://www.myspace.com/warrengiancaterino

Good luck and please let us know what happens, that is a great song that I would like to get.

-T

I was wondering if anyone knew what song was playing during the 11/6 episode preview that aired at the end of the 10/30 Chimera episode. It was a classical sounding choral song with a female voice. I don't have a link, I'm just hoping someone who saw the preview recognized it. Thanks.

I've been looking for this song also. I've heard it for CSI, Cold Case, NCIS/Cold Case..

Other songs that CBS has used have been from www.firstcom.com

I wouldn't know what to search to find the music (maybe...female vocals haunting?) but it could be on there.....

It's the same music that is featured in the PSAs for This Living World, and is as yet unnamed.

It's also the song featured in the current ad for NCIS and The Unit.

The CBS TV ads for the upcoming Nov 6, 2007 episode of NCIS show Gibbs drowning in a car, and subsequently receiving CPR on the dock. A haunting song is playing in the background during this entire ad sequence (the song starts when Gibbs is being pulled to the surface of the water).

Does anyone know the name of this song?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you might be able to provide!

This song is the reason I joined this forum. I hope this mystery is solved soon.
The song was used many years ago for an ER promo. I've been looking for it ever since. It was used for the CSI finale shows a couple of years ago. And I've heard it in a video recently but no credit was given.
It reminds me of Enya, Loreena McKennitt and I've even concidered Kate Bush but for the life of me I cannot find it.
I've emailed and even snail mailed CBS/CSI and haven't heard a word.
PLEASEEEEEEEEE someone figure it out!

No, it wasn't used in the episode. It was only used in the commercial/promo for the episode.

I'm pretty sure that it's Maire Brennan. Either from Clannad or her solo stuff. Go to itunes and look up Maire Brennan or Clannad the Voice is undeniable.

Just so there are no confusions, Marie Brennan is from Ireland where as the Woman from Enya is from Wales which is in the UK... two very very different areas... and i have been lookin for the song from the 10-15 second short advert for NCIS, for the episode that aired tonight (11/6/07) of them drowning and an attempt of rescue is shown.... its a haunting tune as said before with a faint ghostly woman's voice present.... more enya - esq over clannad...

ok i am a complete idiot, and stated what i have heard and not doing my usual of research first, and i withdraw what i last said, i was going by what i have heard from many of my UK/Irish friends and what they told me... bad me so forgive me and please no bashing, i just did more looking up as we speak.... sooo all i can say is OPPS.....

Originally posted by kristian20@Nov 6 2007, 07:53 PM
Just so there are no confusions, Marie Brennan is from Ireland where as the Woman from Enya is from Wales which is in the UK...
I know you clarified yourself, but just so everyone is clear:

From Wikipedia.org:

In 1980, Enya worked with Clannad, the band composed of her siblings Máire (Moya), Pól, and Ciarán and twin uncles Noel and Padraig Duggan. Enya played the keyboard and provided backing vocals on their albums Crann Úll (1980) and Fuaim (1981), although she was never officially a member of the group. In 1982, shortly before Clannad became famous for "Theme From Harry's Game," producer and manager Nicky Ryan left the group and Enya joined him to start her own solo career. Enya then formed her own recording studio, named "Aigle", which is French for "Eagle".

Back