American Express

mayaxiong

Reaction score
Does anyone know the band that sings "Gimme some money' on the new American Express commercial on TV today? This same song was covered by Spinal Tap in their original movie and it's an old English rock song, but apparently a new band doing their version of it. I can't find it on any music search source.
Thanks !

Actually, Spinal Tap did not cover that song. If anyone is familiar with the mock-umentary "Spinal Tap," you'll recall that the fake band Spinal Tap started out as a skiffle band called The Thamesmen. Their only hit (according to the phony biography of the band) was the song "Gimme Some Money." After going through a psychedelic period, The Thamesmen mutated into the heavy metal band Spinal Tap. Unless I'm mistaken, all the music contained in the film "Spinal Tap" was written and performed by Michael McKean (who portrayed Tap member David St. Hubbins), Christopher Guest (Nigel Tufnel) and Harry Shearer (Derek Smalls and man of many voices on The Simpsons).

The song you are hearing in the AmEx ad is not an old English rock song and was in fact performed by the fictional band The Thamesmen.

Is it "Gimme Some Lovin" by The Spencer Davis Group?

Originally posted by Tusk85@Dec 24 2006, 12:21 AM
Is it "Gimme Some Lovin" by The Spencer Davis Group?
No, it really is "Gimme Some Money" by The Thamesmen. The reason it sounds so different than anything else by Spinal Tap is that it's supposed to be an example of their "early years."

Originally posted by MoonZing@Dec 24 2006, 02:27 AM
No, it really is "Gimme Some Money" by The Thamesmen. The reason it sounds so different than anything else by Spinal Tap is that it's supposed to be an example of their "early years."
Ah, yes...

But it is a bit better that "Flower People".

Ya think?

I've watched this American Express commercial sporadically. I can't remember what the commercial had in it but I know part of the lyric of the song was "stop wasting my time." In fact, I think the commercial starts off with those set of words. I've been trying to find the song everywhere but I can't. If someone can help me I'd be very grateful.

Not much to go on there.

"Wasting My Time" by Default

or maybe:

"Other Side of You" by Stereo Total

??

:huh: :unsure: :blink: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help. It's not it but the next time I see the commercial I'll give a better description. :)

i think I know the commercial you're talking about, and I don't know the band but it was a cover of Spinal Tap's "Give Me Some Money" or maybe its Gimme Some Money.

Looks like Hamburgerlove is right:

PS: w00t I can edit my own posts now!

There is a commercial where the song is more memorable to me than the product. It's a blues song that sounds like young Rolling Stones. "Stop messin around" riff riff riff riff. another line, followed by riffs. The chorus is "Give me some money."

Any help please?

Thank you for the replies. I must admit, I feel kind of stupid for thinking a Spinal Tap song was a genuine old British blues record. I'm going to spontaneously combust now.

Back