What is your favorite type or genre of music?

farbeyond

Sandman
Reaction score
I like a hard rock beat with heavy bass and melodic vocals. I like the song to be catchy and somewhat rhyming. The song should evict some strong emotion out of me. Some screaming is good if it's mixed with lots of melodic vocals.

Examples: 12 Stones - "Open Your Eyes"
36 Crazyfists - "Bloodwork"
40 Below Summer - "Hate Mail"
Egypt Central - "You Make Me Sick"
Element Eighty - "Goodbye"
Flaw - "Endangered Species"
Makeshift Romeo - "The Morning After"
Pillar - "Fireproof"
Soil - "Redefine"
Switched - "Inside"

i like so many different types of music, i always have a hard time sticking to just one category. i guess i most often fall for more "alternative" music - whatever that is considered these days. i don't like country, but every now and again i like a song or two that's popular. i hate "cop killa" rap with extreme passion - just don't get the appeal. death metal... makes my ears want to bleed. i'm a victim of pop songs that are catchy on the radio. i'm tired of the new trend of these kids that think they need to wear black eyeliner and whine about life - think i've reached the age where i don't get the appeal.

i find real passion from lyrics that have meaning as a whole, beats that make my body respond, vocals that aren't overhauled by a machine, songs that go on a journey from beginning to end, and the general mood the song brings with it.

the ones that stand the test of time for me: bjork (isobel, play dead, joga), radiohead (no surprises), queen (the show must go on, one year of love, who wants to live forever, crazy little thing called love), rush (trees, roll the bones, red sector a), dido (white flag, who makes you feel), beastie boys (brass monkey, intergalactic), fleetwood mac (bleed to love her, rhiannon, silver springs), dave matthews band (two step, dancing nancies, #41, satellite)

the ones that currently make me dance: madonna (jump), black eyed peas (hey mama, don't phunk with my heart), daft punk (digital love), lady sovereign (love me or hate me), bt (somnambulist), gorillaz (dare)

lyrics that make me think or affect my mood: coldplay (fix you), john mayer (the heart of life), tegan and sarah (walking with a ghost), smashing pumpkins (tonight tonight, zero, bullet with butterfly wings)

of course, it all changes depending on the day. -_-

I like so many different things. It depends on my mood but like Jello there's always room for classical, opera, blues and what is now being called classic rock. *old fart emoti*

Classical is my fav. Or soundtrack music like Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith...etc.

But otherwise I listen to just about any type of genre.

Do you have any favorite classical song examples? I like pretty much any type of music but find it hard to hear much classical in the mainstream of things.

work out music.. such as alternative songs mainly, but i still love rock and roll as well as christian music.

Originally posted by goldengloves88@Dec 3 2006, 07:54 PM
work out music.. such as alternative songs mainly, but i still love rock and roll as well as christian music.
There is alot of good christian rock/metal out there that doesn't go as main stream as some other bands. Thousand Foot Krutch, Demon Hunter, Project 86 and Pillar are a few of the more popular ones.

I like industrial, grunge, metal, alternative. Sometimes I like to listen to some instrumental music like Steve Vai or Joe Stariani.

Breaks, Progressive House, Drum & Bass, Ambient, Lounge, Jazz, Acid Jazz, Trip Hop, Metal.

Originally posted by goodasgold@Dec 3 2006, 07:38 PM
Classical is my fav. Or soundtrack music like Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith...etc.

Heard Antonio Vivaldi? Chopin? Sebastian Bache? Vivaldi's the best of those... :D

Anything as long as it aint country, but mostly listen to Classical, Techno, and Rock. As well have been listenin to alot of Jap rock lately....or J-pop or w/e it is called.... :D

Originally posted by 4swrds+Dec 5 2006, 01:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4swrds @ Dec 5 2006, 01:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-goodasgold@Dec 3 2006, 07:38 PM

Heard Antonio Vivaldi? Chopin? Sebastian Bache? Vivaldi's the best of those... :D

Anything as long as it aint country, but mostly listen to Classical, Techno, and Rock. As well have been listenin to alot of Jap rock lately....or J-pop or w/e it is called.... :D [/b][/quote]
Oh yes. I like all those composer. Plus Carl Orff, Gustav Holst, Mozart, Beethovan, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff. (Just to name a few that I like) :)

Originally posted by goodasgold@Dec 5 2006, 10:07 PM
Oh yes. I like all those composer. Plus Carl Orff, Gustav Holst, Mozart, Beethovan, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff. (Just to name a few that I like) :)
Mozart isn't one of my favs. His 10th movement was good, but I didn't like any of his other pieces...and yeah Beethoven rocks! B)

...Haven't Heard of Gustav Holst, Guess I'll check him out now..thanks... B)

Originally posted by 4swrds+Dec 6 2006, 09:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4swrds @ Dec 6 2006, 09:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-goodasgold@Dec 5 2006, 10:07 PM
Mozart isn't one of my favs. His 10th movement was good, but I didn't like any of his other pieces...and yeah Beethoven rocks! B)

...Haven't Heard of Gustav Holst, Guess I'll check him out now..thanks... B) [/b][/quote]
:eek:k:

The Planets by Holst is really awesome. ;)

I like too many to make a favorite. But i do know my least favorite, country. I don't dislike it, it just doesn't appeal to me. Here is an example from one of my last burned CD to show how goofy my music taste is.

Frontier Psychiatrist - The avalanches - electronica(?)
Open letter to NYC - Beastie boys - rap
Mercy Mercy me - Marvin gaye - Soul
I love rock and roll - Joan jett - Rock
Snap ya fingers - Lil Jon - Crunk rap
Always new Depths - Bloc Party - Alternative rock

I also love classical, Chopin, Bach, erik satie, Tchaikovsky... Chopin is probably my favorite.

Classical is definitely the music that moves me most.
The life of david gale, used in the WTC trailer. I found to be an extremely powerful piece. Classical to me is the pinnacle of music, all of the art is completely in the sound, no lyrics, i like that.

Originally posted by rjay8604@Dec 7 2006, 11:24 PM
I also love classical, Chopin, Bach, erik satie, Tchaikovsky... Chopin is probably my favorite.

:eek: ..TCHAIKOVSKY!!!!! thats who I forgot.... :duh:

I love so many different types of music it's not even funny. I'm a fan of pretty much anything (with the exception of country, bluegrass, etc.). New age, celtic, rock, reggae, jazz, classical, pretty much anything. Here's some different kind of music I like:

medieval music

es posthumus

achillea

Jens Gad Presents

just to name a few ;)

*gregorian chant and trailer music rock

yo tambien ;) I love boys, sex toys, and goldfrapp. Korn, Rob Zombie (old school), Air, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, Paris Hilton, NIN!, M I A, Madonna, Gotan Project, Amon Tobin, Calle 13, Manson, Beyonce, JT.. everything

I guess if I had to choose, I would say the music I find most rewarding is classical, particularly operatic and symphonic music. Haydn, JS Bach, Wagner, Beethoven, Rossini, Verdi, Puccini, Dvorak, Mahler, Schubert and Stravinsky—I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

But, like many here, I too am a fan of just about every genre of music I can think of. If it's good, I'll give it a listen.

Back