Columbia Coffee

caffeinated

Reaction score
I seem to remember a coffee commercial in the 80's that used music from the movie, "The Mission." Does anyone know what company that was?

I've been looking for this musical piece for a while now -- and so far, no luck!
:(

I think it's from the old Columbia Coffee commercials... from the mid to late 80's.
Featuring that guy and his mule.

The music itself consists of a large powerful chorus. Almost like an opera. I've heard it before in other things, so I assume that it's a 'famous' piece of music.

I don't really know how to describe it.
I hope someone remembers these commercials too and can help in any way. :)

thanks

This has been bugging me ... here's the thing, I know that I know this, but I can't quite put my finger on it exactly ...

First things first, though ... the "guy and his mule" ... Juan Valdez is the guy ...

I hazily remember the ad ... it showed a mountain covered with coffee plant fields ... gorgeous cinematography as it showed the daylight traveling across it in fast forward motion ... various field workers shown picking the coffee beans ...
The focus of it was the fact that the coffee was "mountain-grown" ...
I was always under the incorrect impression that the field workers were singing the chorus song, but that was not the case ...

I'm fairly certain that the song you're looking for comes from the work "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff ...
As far I know, it is NOT - I repeat NOT the "O Fortuna" song (that song in and of itself is well-known and well-used in ads/shows/movies) ...

The song you're looking for is lighter and brighter in nature ... like a triumphant, joyful choral song ... kinda like the "Ecce gratum" song sorta (I only had a chance to listen to a rather small snippet of it, so I apologize in advance if I'm way off base here with that particular suggestion) ...

Please, someone else out there ... someone well-versed in "Carmina Burana" ... what is this song?

Thanks!

B)

This has been bugging me ... here's the thing, I know that I know this, but I can't quite put my finger on it exactly ...

First things first, though ... the "guy and his mule" ... Juan Valdez is the guy ...

I hazily remember the ad ... it showed a mountain covered with coffee plant fields ... gorgeous cinematography as it showed the daylight traveling across it in fast forward motion ... various field workers shown picking the coffee beans ...
The focus of it was the fact that the coffee was "mountain-grown" ...
I was always under the incorrect impression that the field workers were singing the chorus song, but that was not the case ...

I'm fairly certain that the song you're looking for comes from the work "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff ...
As far I know, it is NOT - I repeat NOT the "O Fortuna" song (that song in and of itself is well-known and well-used in ads/shows/movies) ...

The song you're looking for is lighter and brighter in nature ... like a triumphant, joyful choral song ... kinda like the "Ecce gratum" song sorta (I only had a chance to listen to a rather small snippet of it, so I apologize in advance if I'm way off base here with that particular suggestion) ...

Please, someone else out there ... someone well-versed in "Carmina Burana" ... what is this song?

Thanks!

B)

After 5 years, I finally found out what it was! It's by Ennio Morricone and it's from the original soundtrack of the film, "The Mission", from 1986

I hope you get this reply! :)

-Mark

Back