Diamond is Forever "How Can I Tell You" Cat Power

thelovelyflea

Reaction score
It was on of the "What Will You Do For Love This Christmas?" Ads. The song is Cat Steven's "How Can I Tell You but in the commercial it's a really cool cover by a woman with a really mellow, soft voice, and it sounds like it's all acoustic. Anyone know who sings it???? Any help would be sweet.

I've been looking for the same song today. It sounds a little like The Weepies, but I'm not sure. I also looked on the VH1 website which is where I saw the commercial but came up with nothing.

who sings the cover of "How Can I Tell You" by Cat Stevens in a commercial for The Diamond Source (i think)? it says "a diamond is forever" at the end...it shows a couple obviously on Christmas morning laying in bed together

lyrics:
how can i tell you that i love you i love you i want to tell you that i'm always thinking of you always thinking of you but i can't think of right words to say

eesh i just made a topic about this...i want to hear the song so badly ;\

watch the video here ;)
A Diamond is Forever 2006 TV commercial "Xmas Morning"

a quick search showed Lani Hall covered this song in 1972 album "Sun Down Lady"
,but there is no audio source available for comparying

It doesn't sound like Lani Hall, so my guess is it's a newer "cover", maybe done especially for the spot. It does kinda sound like Cat Power though. :unsure:

I actually emailed De Beers and believe it or not they emailed me back and confirmed that it is Cat Power is the artist and the song is How Can I Tell You. I tried to find the song on I Tunes and couldn't but apparently that's it.

Originally posted by llwilson22@Nov 15 2006, 07:08 AM
I actually emailed De Beers and believe it or not they emailed me back and confirmed that it is Cat Power is the artist and the song is How Can I Tell You. I tried to find the song on I Tunes and couldn't but apparently that's it.
that would be awesome if so!~ unfortunately, I've looked to see if Cat Power ever did a cover of the song and it's not coming up so maybe it was specifically for them

Originally posted by keepsake+Nov 15 2006, 03:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (keepsake @ Nov 15 2006, 03:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-llwilson22@Nov 15 2006, 07:08 AM
that would be awesome if so!~ unfortunately, I've looked to see if Cat Power ever did a cover of the song and it's not coming up so maybe it was specifically for them[/b][/quote]
Yeah, she is known for her highy interpretive covers, and my guess is this is either one that was done specifically for the ad, or one that was never released. Let's hope they release the song soon.

Thanks for the research and info, wilson.

For some reason Cat Power does all these great covers for commercials but they never get released. I'm still trying to get some other song she did. :angry: Boo, hiss!

Okay Lani Hall did the original Cat Stevens (a man) did a version and several other artists, which their version is slightly different then the one we are hearing. I have looked everywhere for this song! I really hope to find it by the current artist we are all hearing on the commercial! If it is Cat Power there may indeed be no hope :( Grrrrrrrrr this is sooooo frusterating!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Rosey@Nov 16 2006, 12:22 PM
Okay Lani Hall did the original Cat Stevens (a man) did a version and several other artists, which their version is slightly different then the one we are hearing. I have looked everywhere for this song! I really hope to find it by the current artist we are all hearing on the commercial! If it is Cat Power there may indeed be no hope :( Grrrrrrrrr this is sooooo frusterating!!!!!!!
For the record, in regards to the previous post, Cat Steven wrote the song and Lani Hall is one of many who covered it...

Originally posted by cavagnac+Nov 16 2006, 07:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cavagnac @ Nov 16 2006, 07:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rosey@Nov 16 2006, 12:22 PM
For the record, in regards to the previous post, Cat Steven wrote the song and Lani Hall is one of many who covered it... [/b][/quote]
for some reason, i think they should use cat steven's version, which will match the picture/story better ;)

I am in the process of finding this song as well, but I believe it may be Regina Spektor....

Originally posted by smatthews@Nov 17 2006, 07:57 PM
I am in the process of finding this song as well, but I believe it may be Regina Spektor....
that was my second guess as well.

Back