Songs that remind you of other songs ...

DJEiffelT

Pro Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Recently I've heard some new songs that for one reason or another reminded me of some older songs ...

I thought it might be fun/interesting topic to start a list for ...

To participate ...

Provide the artist/title of both the new and the older song ... a brief description of why the two songs remind you of each other ... and cooler still, if you can provide sound sample links so the rest of us here can listen and see if we reach the same conclusion as you ...

I'll start ...

Example 1 ...

New song:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Dani California" - CD: Stadium Arcadium
http://www.myspace.com/redhotchilipeppers

Older song:
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Mary Jane's Last Dance" - CD: Playback
BN sound sample - disc 3 track 12

The chord progressions during the lyric sections of each song remind me of each other ... I told a friend about this similarity, and then a few days later, I read an album review that mentioned the very same thing ... other than that, the two songs differ greatly ...

Example 2 ...

New song:
The Raconteurs - "Steady, As She Goes" - CD: Broken Boy Soldiers
BN sound sample - track 1

Older song:
Joe Jackson - "Is She Really Going Out With Him"
BN sound sample - disc 1 track 1

The start/stop beat and the bass of the two songs remind me of each other ...

Do you agree/disagree?

What other pairings can you think of out there?
Do share!

Thanks!

B)

The backround music in Bootylicious by Destiny's Child reminds me of On the Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks. They probably borrowed it. lol.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Dani California" - CD: Stadium Arcadium
http://www.myspace.com/redhotchilipeppers

Older song:
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Mary Jane's Last Dance" - CD: Playback
BN sound sample - disc 3 track 12

I heard this on the radio the other day and was thinking the same thing. :)

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby

Queen - Under Pressure

I thought gorillaz - Feel good inc was something from U2

theres a tu pak song that samples from a diff song not 100% wich one it is cause it has a piano in it tho i think its thats just the way it is

back when he was alive i havent herd any of his stuff affter he died but he has made more records than when he was alive lol

P Diddy and Faith Evans made Ill Be Missing You a cover of Every Breath You Take by Sting

Kelly Osbourne's "One Word"
and
Visage's "Fade to Gray"

Well, let's see... the use of the word "one," the cold synth pop, the female French vocals, the similar mood.

Hehehe ...

I see how this topic is starting to split two ways ...

1) Talking about 2 entirely different songs that somehow, someway remind you of each other (which is what I'm hoping to generate a list about here) ...

and

2) What I'm seeing being talked about moreso instead ... songs that sample other songs (which is NOT what I'm getting at) ... (Perhaps, someone ought to start a list - if one hasn't been started already - about songs that sample other songs)

-----

OK, so back to the original concept of this thread here ...

2 completely different songs that happen to remind you of each other ...
Pairings where borrowed samples/riffs from one song are found in the other song do NOT count here ... and covers/remakes of the same song do NOT count here, as well ...

Sooo ...
What other interesting pairings of songs can you think of out there?
(Hopefully, this time, we'll stay on the right track ...)

B)

Old song: Strange Love by Depeche Mode
New song: Everybody's Changing by Keane

The song evokes a classic Depeche Mode influence, particulary in the break around 1:31 - 1:36.

Cool ... I listened to the two ... I can kinda see what you're talking about ...

B)

Another pairing ...

Old song:
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "American Girl"

New song:
The Strokes - "Last Nite" - CD: Is This It
http://www.aquariusrecords.org/bin/search.cgi
(I don't know how linky this link is ... if it doesn't bring up a page that lists entries on the Strokes, just plug Strokes into the search function there, and with any luck, the fourth result down - Is This It - should have 2 clips to listen to, the 2nd being "Last Nite" ... this sound sample is 1:29 long and a RAM file ... and bonus, it features the section of the song that I would want you to hear ... )

Specifically, the intro part of Tom Petty's "American Girl" (which, sorry, short of a full mp3 file I couldn't find a decent sound sample that featured the intro part of the song) ...
Compared to the Strokes' "Last Nite" sound on the clip I'm talking about above ...

Both have that rushed beat and fuzzy jangly guitar that remind me of each other's song ...

B)

The beginning of Save Us by Feeder and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own by U2.

Hehehe ... yeah ... I can kinda see that too myself ... :p :lol:

B)

Back