Somewhere Over the Rainbow ukulele

pi_guy

Reaction score
There was a spot thing for Michelle Kwan on USA and they had a version of "over the rainbow" playing. It was a guy (I'm pretty sure) singing with a mandolin. Anybody know the artist?

You surely must be thinking of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World.

I have been trying for years to find out who soings this version - I think it is Over the Rainbow but it has a very Island feel - I think a ukelele plays it. It was featured a couple of years ago in a commertical for a Carribean destination - Barbados I think. I just heard it again on the TV last night but I did not catch which advertiser was using it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Originally posted by Caren H@Mar 8 2006, 08:37 PM
Didn't they use that on PBS and 50 First Date?
Yes, and it was in a few commercials and 'Meet Joe Black' :p

It was also in the episode in ER long ago when Dr Greene died while they were in Hawaii.

As I understand it, Iz was a highly regarded musician in his native Hawaii and when he died he had the honor of lying in state at their Capital.

And most recently, in another medical show, Scrubs. It was in "My Way Home" their "Wizard of Oz" homage.

Excellent episode, lots of Oz references hidden throughout.

Though it should be noted, IZ didn't sing the version they used. It was by The Blanks (http://www.theblankswebsite.com/) though it was his interpretation they were performing.

In the Amazon link, it stated that he was honored by having his body lie in state in the Hawaiian State House.
That is quite touching...

:angel:

Back