AMC Theaters AFI 100 Years

suomi8

Reaction score
This is a very difficult question but if anybody can answer it I am sure it is you fine folks. Anyway, I want to say back around 1999 when AFI came out with their 100 years, 100 movies list AMC Movie theatres partnered with AFI and they put together a little trailer that played before the movie featuring great movie clips. In this trailer a few different songs where played (all movie scores I think) and there is one in particular I have always wanted to buy but I never knew what movie it was from.

So my question is this - does anyone out there remember that trailer and have any idea what song or songs were played in that trailer? If it is of any help I think the song I am thinking of was from a Universal Studios movie since I just heard the song again at Universal Studios Hollywood which got me thinking of it.

I know this is an almost impossible question to answer but I would certainly appreciate anyone taking a stab at it!

Thanks!!!

I remember the trailer. It's shown now and again on AMC, in-between films. I recall that music from Bernard Herrmann's score for CITIZEN KANE is prominently featured at the beginning and end, but for the life of me, I can't specifically remember any of the other featured music. I think you're right, though, when you say that it's all film music.

I tried locating the trailer on-line but came up empty. If you could find it somewhere, then we have a good shot at ID'ing the pieces.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

I swear I looked EVERYWHERE for the trailer last night - all I came up with was a possible match that was actually sponsered by Pepsi but it was a 16mm for sale :p and it seems to have been on iFilms at one time but not anymore - I ended up in an infinite loop of ads....

Thanks for checking guys - i have also looked everywhere for the trailer online and it is nowhere to be found I am sad to report.

Thanks again for checking and if anybody else has any information on this I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks

Ok, here is an update on this post I made. this is the same song they played at the end of the PGA Championship that they just aired on CBS. this song was played on Sunday 8/20 at the very end after Tiger had already won when they were recapping the previous major winners. Jim Nantz was narrating the piece.

I would love, love, love to know what movie this is from so if anyone saw the PGA championship and can help i would forever be in their gratitude!

I think I know the AFI clip you're talking about. I've seen it a couple of times, but it's been a while so I don't remember all the music that's used. But the one piece that I clearly remember, mostly because it was used at the end and it's very uplifting, is Ennio Morricone's "The Untouchables (End Title)" from the Brian De Palma film of the same name.

Not sure if this is the piece you are looking for, but I thought I'd at least give it a shot.

I dont think it is, i have the untouchables score at home so i will go home and check it out tonight. but my memory of that score says it is not right, but i hope my memory is bad and you are correct!

thanks for helping

If it is the Chuck Workman "100 Years of Movies" that you are referring to, it is on Youtube.

Originally posted by lasvegaslynn@Aug 22 2006, 04:27 PM
If it is the Chuck Workman "100 Years of Movies" that you are referring to, it is on Youtube.
That's the short I remember. I saw it in a media class once, and subsequently on TCM. The only music I remember was from The Untouchables, Citizen Kane and On The Waterfront. I haven't been able to find it online though.

I looked on Youtube and i didnt see that trailer listed anywhere, do you have a link so I could check it out?

Originally posted by suomi8@Aug 24 2006, 07:08 AM
I looked on Youtube and i didnt see that trailer listed anywhere, do you have a link so I could check it out?
I couldn't find it either, so it's likely no longer on there.

Could you maybe describe the music you are looking for? Style, tempo, instruments, anything that you remember about it.

I think unfortunately this is a lost cause at this point and time.

However I will try my best to describe it but with my non-existent musical background it will be hard.

I can tell you that it very much sounds like a movie released in the 80's or 90's. I would say in style it mirrors the sound of the music from the Hoffa soundtrack (also featured in the LA Confidential trailer). It also kind of reminds me of the Rudy soundtrack in that for me at least the song I am thinking kind of gives you the goosebumps feeling if that makes sense.

Thanks for al your efforts here capnmunch, I really appreciate it!

What scenes or shots are playing while the piece of music you are trying to identify is playing?

Unfortunately it has been so long since I have seen that trailer I dont really remember all that well. I can remember two scenes though that I think were playing. One - an older gentlemen in a tuxedo is in a movie theatre watching a movie and he is crying. Two - a butch of milatary men are in a theatre watching a movie and whatever they are watching meets their approval as they are thunderously applauding and one of the milatary men turns around to the guys sitting behind him and gives them a fist pump. I have no idea what two movies these movies actually are but those are my best memories.

Thanks

i remember this ad well...the one showing clips of films like Empire Strikes Back, Rocky, Jurassic Park, etc, and shots of people watching and reacting to movies

I'm pretty sure its the main theme from the Dragonheart score by Randy Edelman, but i could be very wrong, especially if we're talking about a different ad

Chris - you are the man as that is the movie soundtrack I was talking about. Well played sir, and I am forever in your gratitude!!!

Thanks to everyone else who helped along the way of this long and arduous journey!

Back