Your Musical Tastes

AtlasRoad

Advanced Member
Reaction score
OK. I'm a producer. I've been told by some, that I am outstanding, and by others that I am boring as all get out. The number one reason I am "outstanding" is because of my eclectic style; the number one reason I am "boring" is because nothing really jumps out at people.

Now, the type of music that I make is the type of music I want to hear. If I don't like it myself, how can I be inspired to write anything for it? I'm not changing for anyone or any reason just to sell records.

Let me try to describe my sound. It's a blend of hip hop with electronica, techno, jazz, and a sort of extremely mellow trance. If you've ever heard of groups like Kiln, The Boards of Canada or The Album Leaf.. they have a sort of pipe dreamy sound. I take that and add a beat. I guess my music could be played in a lounge. It's the type of music you'd hear in a movie while someone's sitting at a traffic light in downtown manhattan on a rainy afternoon.. everything seems to slow down as they watch the people cross the street and you can hear each individual raindrop hit the roof of the car.

Now.. let me get to the point. Does that type of thing sell well? Are most people more inclined to go after bass driven beats, uptempo, hard-hitting types of songs sans any real staying melody? Can I get away with relaxing, melodic, abstract-ochestral music? Eccentricity doesn't do too well in this world of ours does it?

I was told I wouldn't go very far without something that could be played in a club. And I wouldn't argue. What are your tastes?

----

You can tell I probably get F's on all my essays...

I can see how your type of music is harder to sell. I love the bands you mentioned and I think there is definitly a crowd for that style, which seems to be growing. I'd stay stick with it, if you are happy with your music and you get postive feedback from people that's good. Everyone has their own musical tastes, if someone doesn't like your stuff thats too bad. Like I said the crowd is growing and with the internet people are developing new tastes. Stick with it and the $$$ will come to you.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -- Aldous Huxley

Personally I am able to find beauty in the simplest of melodies or the most complex arrangements.

I like stuff relatively similar. I'm not really sure what your producer's looking for, but what I like usually ranges from idm, hiphop minus legible lyrics, to electronic, to messed up smooth instrumental rock, to a little bit of reggae.

My favorite artists in no particular order:

Tycho
Vitaminsforyou (I'm sorry for forever and for always)
Machinedrum/Tstewart/Syndrone
Tiki Obmar (no longer producing music, but Tarlton is made by some of the same people)
Tarlton
Lateduster
Proem
Deceptikon
Frank and Bill(ma0X was awesome, pity they didn't make a cd :()
Secede

More artists on my myspace :)

you listen too? very cool stuff. and a new release on m3rck this year. should be good.

i've been into deceptikon a lot lately too. on his website there's a download for the live set, the first song on it is kinda meh, but there are so many good ones.

Tycho.. that's exactly it. I'm on a similar level.

HA people say it's boring. music like this should be the norm.

Just wanted to say that the song "Red Bridge"... is serious.

I'm going to Minneapolis to buy a Tarlton cd tomorrow. ^_^

I'm sooo diggin their clips right now. That last one... wow. Probably not good for producing, but damn... really good sound.

Well, I don't personally have much of an affinity for the style you're describing, but I know people who do. The thing is, Trance Music has a very narrow, specific audience, and doesn't really appeal to the casual listener. It's like, you've got your people who love that stuff and will buy all of it, and then everybody else. I think the important thing is to get feedback from the first group, to learn how to do what you do as well as you can possibly do it. You know, "Whatever you are, be a good one." So basically, don't change your style, just try to improve it.

Back