Public television promotion

Yakityak

Reaction score
I've searched the forum under "public television" and "public broadcasting" but come up empty handed. Too bad "PBS" is too short of a string for the search engine.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is a national public broadcasting promotion on PBS stations around the US. It's got some photos that slowly fade into each other... but the striking thing about the promo is the music of course. It is an instantly recognizable tune (except for a doofus like me, who only recognizes that it is instantly recognizable). It sounds very much like Aaron Copeland - broad sweeping violins and all. The tempo is slow and grand. You only hear a few bars.

I'm 90% sure it's Copeland. And I'm 100% sure I'll be thoroughly red-faced if someone succeeds in telling me what it is. In the meantime, I am driving all who know me batty as I hum the tune at them and ask "Do you know what this tune is?"

They just look at me funny. But I keep doing it. I have no shame.

Yak

The problem with all things PBS is there is no such thing as "national" -- for the most part, it is up to each and every local PBS station as to what shows (and commercials for those shows) they choose to run.

What was the ad for exactly? (PBS in general, a show, or...?)

You can try searching for PBS through our forums on the "Search" page either via Google or using an underscore in the forum search function -- like this: "PBS_" -- to get around the three letter limit.

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely try the underscore trick next. The ad was for PBS in general. Having travelled about the US a bit, I know that at least some of those are run nationally... in that local stations can choose to run those generic PBS promos. I've seen the same one on both coasts when I'm travelling, although I can't vouch for this one specifically since I haven't travelled in awhile.

Yak

Do you know the tag of it? If it is "Become a Member today," the music might be : The John Dunbar Theme from Dances With Wolves.

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU!!! Yes, that is it! Having this riddle solved almost balances out getting a flat tire with 3 kids in the car earlier in the day. It's been annoying me for months. I'd buy you a frappuccino if I could. :D

I even have the CD but hadn't listened to it for years. I'm putting it on my mp3 player as I type. Thanks again! I love this board.

Yak

Back