The Daily Show

auntiegravity

Reaction score
Okay. The Daily Show theme song sounds a lot like a theme song from a Nickelodeon or Disney show, and I cannot for the life of me figure out which one. My friend says that she thinks the show is live action and the opening sequence involves a school hallway and a camera, but she's not sure. If you can help me, I will love you forever.

--kt.

It's not a "real" song. It was made specifically for The Daily Show. Also, the song is performed by They Might Be Giants, it was only written by Bob Mould.

What is the song in Indecision 2000 when Rob Corddry is shot out of the cannon. Its a crazy tecno theme...very chimy. It's really cool. Thanks alot.

Actually, it's called "Dog On Fire".

It was written by Bob Mould (from Husker Du), and the version on the show is performed by They Might Be Giants. I don't know if you can buy their version, but I believe you can find Bob Mould's original.

Actually the original version of Dog On Fire which is the one played at the beginning is Bob Mould, who wrote it. I'm guessing the faster version they play at the end is the TMBG version. and just for the Record, Cheap Trick does the theme for the Colbert Report, which is called Baby Muggles.

Interview with Bob Mould
by Keith Pille
October 10, 2005

KP: Given how big the Daily Show has gotten, do you feel pride in contributing the theme song?

BM: Absolutely. Liz Winstead, another Minnesota folk, was one of the two co-creators of the show, and asked me if I had any music kicking around at the time. That was actually a song that would have made the eponymous record had it not been used for the Daily Show. I'm very proud to have been part of that in the early going. It's a nice thing.

I recently learned that the name of the theme song fpr the Daily Show is "Dog on Fire" , and for the Colkbert report, "Baby Muggles" , but I can't find a place to download the song! Anyone got an idea???

the version of dog on fire is by 'they might be giants' but as far as i know the longest clip out there is about a minute or so long, though if you find a full version give us an update cuz i'd like it also :p

don't know much aout the colbert report song though i would start by checking 'they might be giants' since the songs have a similar sound

Sorry. I thought the clip was direct. It's the clip with the Leonar-D'oh headline under daily show videos.

I'm looking for the music they've used in past segments -- to be honest I can't even remember the segments, but it's a fast-paced and almost polka-y like music to use as a soundtrack for negative b-roll film (like scenes of war and carnage) where they're pretending like they are trying to cast the scenes in a positive light. I know I'm grasping at straws here -- but if anyone knows, let me know!

Thanks!

Are you thinking of "Yakety Sax" by Boots Randolph? It is better known as "The Benny Hill Theme."

Search for the phrase "yakety sax" on YouTube and you should be able to find some videos featuring it. Then you'll know if it's the right song.

Hey,
Does anyone know the name of the song that plays after Jon Stewart says farewell to Rumsfeld?

It has a very simple guitar riff and beat, plays during the shot of Jason Jones walking along the beach and the ensuing series of dissolves. It's probably played on some episode of Laguna Beach or The O.C. and it's driving me nuts. Much appreciated!

link to the segment

Well I can't find any lyrics to the song, or an artist or title, but if anyone else needs help, the lyrics they play in the clip are "Time abides no bottle" or "nobody"

no, that's not the one, that's the second song... it's tricky because they play several songs during that sequence, i'm looking for the one they play directly before that, as well as during the series of dissolves after he says "kind of a pussy". it's a simple guitar riff and as far as i can tell, a female singer. lyrics might include "walk tall along the road".

Hi, so I was watching the episode for August 20th and one of the segments is of one of the reporters actually going to Iraq, for real. As he is in the plane the song "The End" by The Doors is playing, but as he steps off he takes out his iPod and changes the song to some upbeat tropical sounding tune. Any idea what that song was? Sry but no lyrics were played.

Back