The 80's song "Turning Japanese"

scoot734

Advanced Member
Reaction score
The 80's song "Turning Japanese", who originally sang that? I was just wondering. :what:

I couldn't find it on iTunes so I did a search on Google and it seems a lot of people have covered it. :confused:

Dumb song. :p I really liked the 80's but that one................... :rolleyes:

ha! i thought it would appeal to ya since.... :eek:k: reference. haha

i think it's kind of funny because of that reference, cause how long were you singing that song without knowing what it really was about. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: It's not allllllll about the :eek: :p :eek:k: Sometiiiiiiimes, as Ravi says, it's all about the music. ;) :D
I mean it's all good to joke about but did we reaaaaaaally need a song about it? :huh: :p

:huh: What reference? About what? What what?

When I first saw the thread title I thought about the Tubes, but I was thinking of the Su-su-sushi girl song.

Yeah, What reference? What are you talking about? :huh:

Originally posted by givemfitz@Sep 8 2004, 11:00 PM
I mean it's all good to joke about but did we reaaaaaaally need a song about it? :huh: :p
"She Bop" by Cindi Lauper is another one... at least there's two that think so.

And, as for the others asking what the song is referencing, we can't really mention it on here - it goes against policies from our site affiliates. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I know what "She Bop" is really about. "Turning Japanese" is about the samething??? :eek:

hmmm...I'll have to go look up the lyrics now lol :D

Originally posted by michelle@Sep 9 2004, 03:36 AM
And, as for the others asking what the song is referencing, we can't really mention it on here - it goes against policies from our site affiliates. :rolleyes:
MUST BLURT OUT.... CAN'T DO IT!

oh, that's just a myth!!! the song is not about that!!! "she bop" is, but not this one

Wrong bbrocks....

"Turning Japanese" is about "that".

It's a somewhat racist British slang for "that" particular activity.

It's called "turning Japanese" because of the squinty eyed grimace some people make when performing the aforementioned act.

no, you're wrong toetag!!!!!! I watched a show on vh1 about the meaning of songs, and this particular song was featured and they had guys from the band talking about it and everything!!! Of course, it is possible that they were messing around and didn't tell the whole truth.... I can't even remember what, according to them, the song is actually about, but they did squash the masturbation rumor.
I just remembered another song that is about THAT: "pump it up" by elvis costello

I just read the lyrics and I don't come away with the same reference. Surprising since everyone tells me I have such a dirty mind. :D

Back