Mission Pak

pjboy

Reaction score
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSNv6-lM7jQ

anyone remember what the lyrics to the Mission Pack (Pac?) commercial were? this commercial was always on around the holidays in the early 60s. i can't seem to remember them and it's driving me crazy...your help would be appreciated!

xo
pjboy

Re: Mission Pack

anyone remember what the lyrics to the Mission Pack (Pac?) commercial were? this commercial was always on around the holidays in the early 60s. i can't seem to remember them and it's driving me crazy...your help would be appreciated!

xo
pjboy

I think it went something like: "Say the magic words, say Mission Pack and it's on it's merry way. So gay, so bright, so good, so right, give the Mission Pack magic way."

No sure about the "so gay, so bright, so good" part but I'm sure this list ended with "so right"

I remember that jingle. It's stuck in my head and is annoying as the It's A Small World song. It started on TV right after Thanksgiving. There were reindeer pulling Santa on a sled. Santa's bag was loaded with Mission Packs and the reindeer sang the jingle:

Say the magic word, say Mission Pack
And it's on its merry way
No gift so bright, so gay, so right
Send a Mission Pack magic way
Call MAdison 24184

They had a storefront in Downtown LA on 7th St with huge window display of Mission Packs. I was only about 4 years old when I first saw the commercial. I couldn't wait to see it again each year. Now I regret it because I can't get that song out of my head!

The gentleman that wrote the Mission Pack jingle was the founder of Mission Pack. His name is Gene Landis, uncle of director John Landis. Gene sang the lyrics to me several years ago, because they too were rolling around in my head driving me crazy. Unfortunately, I can no longer remember the exact words and I've lost contact with the writer. As I understand it, the company was sold I believe to a British firm that managed to run the very successful enterprise into the ground.

The song was:

Say the magic word, say Mission Pak
Give the Mission Pak magic way.

To find your nearest Mission Pak store call
ADams 24184
:)

Thanks, pjboy for starting this thread and thanks for the contributions everyone else has made. I've Googled Mission Pack before, but this is the first time I found this website. I couldn't remember the words, but the tune still rings in my head (from time to time, not constantly :D) after fifty years. One year (probably 1961 or 1962) in a valiant attempt to prolong the Christmas festivities beyond their traditional boundaries, some friends of mine and I gathered up all the Christmas trees our neighbors had left out for the garbage man to collect and dragged/carried them to my back yard. There we arranged them in a circle and propped them up as best we could, then proceeded to dance around like a bunch of deranged elves as we sang what we, being the self-indulgent, media-saturated kids that we were, must have considered the most significant song of the Christmas season, the Mission Pack jingle. It was hilarious fun for us, but I'm sure, to anyone not caught up in our delirious state of exuberance, it might have seemed rather disturbing. I didn't know many of the words, so I just faked it, so it's good to finally know what they were.
My mother didn't get angry, but she made it clear that I was to return the trees to where I had found them. I remember being concerned that I wasn't putting the right tree back in front of the right house, but the tree police didn't come after me, so I guess I got away with it.

Hmmmm, if memory serves, I wanna say the last line of the jingle was actually, ".....As the Mission Pak magic way."

Jack Benny's sidekick, "Dandy" Don Wilson was the spokes person in the Mission Pak TV commercials. They used to ALWAYS open up a Mission Pak store in a vacant retail space during the holidays here in Fullerton.:D

The song was:

Say the magic word, say Mission Pak
Give the Mission Pak magic way.

To find your nearest Mission Pak store call
ADams 24184
:)

I remember that jingle. It's stuck in my head and is annoying as the It's A Small World song. It started on TV right after Thanksgiving. There were reindeer pulling Santa on a sled. Santa's bag was loaded with Mission Packs and the reindeer sang the jingle:

Say the magic word, say Mission Pack
Send a Mission Pack magic way
Call MAdison 24184

They had a storefront in Downtown LA on 7th St with huge window display of Mission Packs. I was only about 4 years old when I first saw the commercial. I couldn't wait to see it again each year. Now I regret it because I can't get that song out of my head!

Could it have been:

...Give a Mission Pack the magic way?

There was one in San Francisco at the corner of Third and Market. My dad loved the candied fruits.,

xo
pjboy
I think it went ‘Say the magic word say Mission Pak And it's on its merry way. No gift so bright, so gay, so right, Give the Mission Pak magic way!”

Back