MTV and VH1 background music songs

Cool276

Veteran Member
Reaction score
For those of you who watch MTV and VH1, here's a few of the songs they use as background music:

1. "Ears Ring" by Rainer Maria
2. "Dark Wave" by Stephen Malkmus
3. "Come Around" by Rhett Miller
4. "We Used to be Friends" by The Dandy Warholes
5. "Around the World" by Daft Punk
6. "Sister Surround" by Soundtrack of Our Lives
7. "Please" by Apples In Stereo
8. "Scrappy" by BS 2000
9. "Out of Control" by Thr Chemical Brothers
10. "Hey, Hey" by The Elms
11. "American Hearts" by Piebald
12. "My Favorite Accident" by The Motion City Soundtrack

I was hoping I could find the song that has been driving me insane for a while now (check the vh1 goes inside fear factor post) here in the list, but it is not any of those. I love some of them, though, and I have their cds... Anymore songs anyone can add to the list of music used by vh1 and mtv on their shows? I've got to have that darn song!!!!! BTW, the vh1 fear factor episode will air again on may 5, I think, if anyone can watch it to see if they recognize the song I'm looking for it would be really nice. The clip I'm referring to takes place in the first half hour of the program, so you wouldn't have to watch it all!!!! I know I didn't (not into fear factor)!!!

That's a good one too, but not the one I NEED!!! Oh, vh1 is using "Big Star" by the Jayhawks on their new ads. I'm guessing you guys already knew this, but I was so proud of myself for finding it out on my own, without having to ask!!! lol
Later

BB -- Thanks for coming here and letting us know. I'm sure someone else will be looking for it too!

Originally posted by bbrocks@Apr 30 2004, 03:06 PM
That's a good one too, but not the one I NEED!!! Oh, vh1 is using "Big Star" by the Jayhawks on their new ads. I'm guessing you guys already knew this, but I was so proud of myself for finding it out on my own, without having to ask!!! lol
Later
yay! i was actually wondering about that song so thanks! i was just being too slow and lazy about actually finding it...oops! haha :rolleyes: :D

They also use "Its allright Baby" by "Komeda" alot! Great song too :)

....and they use "You Give Me Something" by Jamiroquai also on a lot of shows.

check out the Real World, Road Rules, Queer... thread for detailed info on some tunes used in MTV's "The Real World", "Road Rules", "Tough Enough" "Making the Band"...

oooh, they also use "Deep, Down and Dirty" by Stereo Mcs on some shows on MTV/VH1. ;)

I heard a song on the Real World Inferno. I believe it's called "is you is or is you ain't my man". I'm not sure who sings it, but would like to know. It's sung by a woman and the bass beat is the main part. Can anybody help me?

did you try looking at the mtv.com website? just look under 'the inferno' episode guide and they list what songs they used. but incidentally i think i might know the song...it could be dinah washington, and if it sounded like it was a remix, it could be "is you is or is you ain't my baby" ~dinah washington remixed by rae & christian off the album "verve remixed"...

sound sample:
track 4

Another few commonly used songs are "I Can't Wait" and "Naive Song" by Mirwais

A few other songs:

"The Energy" by Audiovent
"Looking Down" by Audiovent
"Lovedust" by Luna

MTV also uses:

"Popsickle" by The Starlight Mints
"Now's The Time" by Slick Shoes
"Television" by The Reunion Show
"There Goes the Fear" by The Doves
"Spitting Games" by Snow Patrol
"Rock Show" by Peaches
"Close to Modern" by the French Kicks
"Spit on A Stranger" by Pavement
"Breathe" by The Prodigy

New Additions:

"Sexx Laws" by Beck
"Mixed Bizness" by Beck
"Devil's Haircut" by Beck

New Additions:

"Up The Bracket" by The Libertines

A few new MTV background music discoveries:

"Walking With Thee"- Clinic
"Relative Ways"- And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
"Jerk It Out"- The Caesars

Here's one I'd been searching for, and I found it last week. They used it on Cribs.
"No Escapin' This" by The Beatnuts

New Additions:

"Kick It"- Peaches
"Take Me Out"- Franz Ferdinand

Songs Heard During VMA's:

"Jenny Was A Friend of Mine"- The Killers
"Memory"- Sugarcult
"Reptilia"- The Strokes
"Golden Path"- The Chemical Brothers

they also use:
The District Sleeps Tonight - The Postal Service
Such Great Heights - The Postal Service