Stella Artois "The Artist"

manet47

Reaction score
Anyone know the source of the music for this recent Stella Artois ad that was on the Oscars...from a song or a custom piece?

I did a little digging on this. The music seems to be a custom piece written by a music house in L.A. for Stella Artois' ad agency, which I think is called "Mother", located in the U.K.

[video=vimeo;62378521]http://vimeo.com/62378521[/video]

I found a second musical version of this Stella Artois ad. A bit more up tempo. I like both of them.

I did a little digging on this. The music seems to be a custom piece written by a music house in L.A. for Stella Artois' ad agency, which I think is called "Mother", located in the U.K.

Thank you manet47. I have searched all over the internet for this music and this is the closest source I have found yet. Is the music house called "Mother" or Stella Artois' L.A. (Los Angeles?) ad agency? And what is located in the UK? Do you know if the full version of the song can be downloaded or purchased anywhere? I (and several others on the interwebs) would be greatful for any additional help.

GDubU493: The music was written at a music house called Human, and written in their L.A. office I believe. It seems like Human has written music for a number of Stella Artois ads. Per their website, Human has offices in NYC, L.A., London and Paris. Stella Artois' advertising agency is called Mother, which is based in the UK and also has an office in NYC. This ad can be found on the Mother/NYC website, so I believe they were the group that created the whole ad and selected the music.

As far as I can tell, this music is a 30 second custom piece for the ad...actually two 30 second custom pieces. There does not appear to be a complete song. Perhaps you can contact Stella Artois to request that they turn the music into a complete song. It could be a good branding move for them. I found it interesting that they chose a jazz piece. It really makes the ad stand out among all the ad clutter, plus it is a perfect fit for the visuals.

manet47: Thank you. Your homework is the most comprehensive response I've found. I have actually referred others to your post here; even going so far as to post the responses on the Stella Artois FB page. I am secretly hoping Stella sees how many people are interested in the piece and make the decision to write a full song. It is unfortunate that these custom pieces may only be 30 seconds long. I agree that the choice of a jazz piece makes an already distinctive ad, stand out even more I would certainly pay iTunes or any other outlet for the music.

Since it appears to be a custom piece, can anyone recommend artists that are similar in nature to this?

I think the decision maker will be Stella Artois. Human seems like a vendor to S.A. and S.A. most likely owns the custom piece created by Human. Human obviously has the talent to create a whole song if not album, but would need the green light from S.A. and work out the economic split if they move ahead with it.

The song from the commercial is an original piece by a composer named Matthew O'Malley. A full recording is not available at this time. But... Stella may have the rights to release a longer version. I may be getting an album with his jazz music in a few days, I'll post back.

Thanks 808Jazz. This is perfect. How about any artists that might have albums along this line?

Apologies, had no idea you replied. Just happened to to another search when this came up again.

As it happens I'm still searching for a complete album with that vibe. Nada so far.

However, if you enjoyed the last suggestion, try this one out:

'On Green Dolphin Street' with John Coltrane and Miles Davis.

It has a more upbeat tempo, but I still feel that deep blue - if you know what I mean? <g>

This ad has been running again, throughout the 2013 USOpen Tennis Championship the past couple of weeks. Both versions have been aired. Very enjoyable.

any more information would be great thanks how toget hold of them

@jtoddv - Not sure if you're ever going to read this, but what the hey, might as well post it in the thought that someone else might find it interesting.

Again, following in the Stella Artois vibe, consider:

'Lil Darling' by modern master Jon Faddis.

:)

what cd is it on please

If you mean the actual music in the Stella ad (not the suggestions of similar music), the Stella ad is using a custom piece of music written just for the commercial, and is not available to the public.

Back