Why do movies have credits at the end for the songs used but television does not?

Nashvillian

Reaction score
I've often wondered, but have never asked in any formal way - Why do movies have credits at the end for the songs used but television does not?

Is it just tradition? If so, surely it's a tradition that should be abandoned.

Some television shows do puts songs in the credits - but the main reason for shows that don't is simply that TV credits have to be a lot shorter than movie credits due to time constraints.

Both TV and movies would probably like to credit everyone who helped in every possible way if they could, but they have limited time available, and if they made the credits longer, they might have to make the show shorter.

I remember it took me almost a year to find out the song and artist for the theme from "Charmed". The Smiths sang the song "How Soon Is Now?". Very difficult when the title of the song isn't part of the lyrics (at least not the part played). It would be nice to have show websites include music and all other trivia and/or stuff on the show.

I have to disagree with neo979. As fast as some credits go on TV channels I don't see why they can't flash the title and artist of the songs they use in the show.

It would be cool if they start doing that. I have a couple of songs I heard on TV shows that I'd like to know where they came from.

Back